Can two iSCSI LUNs be provisioned in FreeNAS 9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
My FreeNAS server is just about ready to go and in testing the migration of ESXi 4.1 to ESXi 5.5 I found 3 ways to copy the Virtual Machines (VM) from old host server to new host server. Both host servers have a SAN and the new server has the new FreeNAS 9.3 iSCSI LUN (ie new SAN). My problem is the Thin provisioned virtual HDD become Thick provisioned during all three methods of migrating old to new. The good news is all 3 methods work. I found if I put ESXi Essentials on a PC setup as a dedicated server Hypervisor I can change Thick provisioning to Thin Provisioning as long as I have two storage areas (LUNs). So I took a look at my spare parts and said Okay lets add a couple of mounting brackets on the inside of my SuperMicro chassis and then with a piece of aluminum angle-rod and a piece of Lexan I created a home for four laptop drives and I plugged the new addition into my motherboard and now I have a new LUN.

My problem seems to be in connecting ESXi to the new storage. I believe my ESXi Storage Adapter is seeing the new 1.8TB LUN but when I click on Storage it does not show up and if I click Add Storage nothing appears.

In the included picture you can see I have 2 connected Targets, 1 Device & 2 Paths. This particular server has two internal LUNs and 1 FreeNAS iSCSI LUN so I believe the 2 Targets are my 35TB LUN and my 1.8TB LUN?

FreeNAS-question.png

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
You probably need to hit "rescan" a couple times.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I forgot to add that, yes, it is certainly supported to have multiple iscsi lun's.

Would it help if after shutting down the FreeNAS server I moved the HDD connection from the motherboard over to the unused port on my LSI SAS 9211-8i RAID card (setup in IT mode of course so it is just fast pass through)?

By the way thanks to whomever gave me the trophy "Keeps Coming Back".

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
The picture shows only one FreeNAS ISCSI LUN. I believe it's "2" because there are 2 paths to the same iscsi lun.

I must say I'm confused as to what you are trying to do. If you have 2 ESX hosts and a SAN (or 2), can't you use vmotion to move the guests from one ESX host to the other, and use Storage vMotion to move the guest VMDK (et al) files from one SAN to the other?

Answer to LUN question.png

I found the problem and it was in Associated Targets.

I had looked in the settings and I thought both lines had my big LUN's name. I just went back and by-golly there were two names. Check out the included picture and it becomes obvious. I now have two mounted LUNs.

Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.