"The Web interface could not bind" and SMB VPN Oddness

Patrick Ryan

Dabbler
I recently did a new build on an iXSystem Mini 2 using the latest version of TrueNAS. Like much of the rest of the world, these days I only go into the office when I have to, so I did most of the build at home. Because of that, I initially set up the system with an IP address appropriate to my home network (10.0.0.xx). When I brought the machine into the office, I reconfigured the network interface to have a new IP, 192.168.1.xx. Everything was working fine, except I kept getting an error notification in the GUI:

The Web interface could not bind to 10.0.0.xx. Using 0.0.0.0 instead.

I mean, everything worked, so I suppose I should have left well enough alone. But of course, I didn't. I went digging, trying to find where this old IP address was lingering. Finally, I saw some indication that you could only change that web interface IP through the console, so I went looking there. I couldn't find any reference to that old IP address, so I tried reconfiguring the network interface, no DHCP and manually specifying the IP as 192.168.1.xx/24. The error persisted. So, I deleted the network interface at the console and re-entered it.

This is where the fun started.

I still get the same error. But, I managed to break SMB over my VPN. Neither my Mac nor my PC located at home could see the share any more (they could before), though I can see it just fine from my PC at the office. I tried checking a few options in the SMB share, including turning on SMB1 support and adding 192.168.1.xx to "Bind IP addresses" in Advanced Options, and whatever I did sort of worked - as in, now my PC can see the share through the VPN connection, although the NAS doesn't announce on Windows' Network tab the way it does at the office. But the Mac can't see the NAS as a network device, nor can it access the SMB share directly. I tried turning on AFP and, sure enough, the Mac can now access the share through AFP. But, that's a deprecated protocol, so I don't want to rely upon this as a long-term solution.

And I still get the same error.

Any ideas?