The "media" User & Group - Does it need to be created?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbddpp

Explorer
I read that a lot of users had a "media" user and group they created as it was what the SickBeard and SABnzbd plugins on freenas used. So, from the shell I started doing a bunch of chown commands to set media:media all over the place. Things were working great.

Then, I rebooted, and now that user is gone, and any folders I had set owner to media:media now say 40002:40002. I now also can't get into those folders via my CIFS share.

I'm new to command line networking, so bear with me, but what did I do wrong? Do I need to create a "media" user and group in the freenas GUI to make it stick? And why did it work via the command line and up until the reboot?

bbddpp

Explorer
I gave up and just made everything 2777 and that's working. Hate to do it but I just couldn't figure out what user that SickBeard and SABnzbd were using to write files, what user/group to assign their folders, and what user to assign to my shares. 2777 and no more problems. Lazy, but headache free.

I'd still be curious to know how/where I tell SickBeard and SABnzbd what user and password they use when they connect to shares to write data.

Status
Not open for further replies.