The hard disk light flashes once every 10S (No data read or write)

bigfly

Dabbler
hello
My hard drive is :Toshiba MG06 8T

if i use RaidZ1 or other raidZ my Hard disk light flashes once every 10S,Even if there is no data to read or write。What's the problem

joeschmuck

Old Man
Why do you think there is a problem? The activity is likely your System Dataset which by default resides on the first pool you create.

joeschmuck

Old Man
That doesn't mean there is a problem. It's working normally. If the light is bugging you then you could put a piece of over it. Now that is a cheap fix!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Or move the system dataset to a pool based on SSD (maybe your boot pool) where there typically isn't a light.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Or move the system dataset to a pool based on SSD (maybe your boot pool) where there typically isn't a light.
That might fix it or not, it depends on how the drive activity LED is activated. On my system the activity LED lights for any SSD or Hard Drive access. The only way to stop that from happening is to unplug the LED from the motherboard, which is an option the OP could take if desired.

Dan Tudora

Patron
hello
or maybe a Christmas tree with lights up put at top of system solve that:tongue:
or just shutdown that f***king system:smile:
cheers

jenksdrummer

Patron
SMART polling, OS checking if the disk is still alive/plugged-in/accessible...RAID controllers do it more so; plus consistency checks; literally watch it light up a drive for 3-5 seconds solid, then lights up several disks solid for a fraction of that, then rinse-repeat; then it switches to another disk as the source read, then confirm on others...

ZFS consistency checks pretty much just hammer all the disks at once for hours/days and run on a schedule; rather than RAID's (typically) more casual approach of when-idle short of a finding.

bigfly

Dabbler
SMART polling, OS checking if the disk is still alive/plugged-in/accessible...RAID controllers do it more so; plus consistency checks; literally watch it light up a drive for 3-5 seconds solid, then lights up several disks solid for a fraction of that, then rinse-repeat; then it switches to another disk as the source read, then confirm on others...

ZFS consistency checks pretty much just hammer all the disks at once for hours/days and run on a schedule; rather than RAID's (typically) more casual approach of when-idle short of a finding.
thank much !
so Just wait for it to complete the consistency check .all right?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Seriously, the black electrical tape approach is underrated.

Redcoat

MVP
so Just wait for it to complete the consistency check .all right?
It's a constant activity - no "completion" - hence the tape-over suggestion.