Thanks for FreeNAS, and thanks for the guide!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fraoch

Patron
Thank you to everyone involved with FreeNAS, and thanks for the guide!

It's pretty intimidating at first. It seems complicated and it seems there's lots of things that might not work.

However I've gotten everything working as expected! The guide is amazing - if you follow it, it all just works.

I'm getting raw dd transfers to individual drives in the 115 MB/s range, NFS transfers off an SSD in the 100 MB/s range and NFS transfers off an HDD in the 70 MB/s range. I have two NFS shares - one for my Linux box, another for my wife's Macs, both working fine. I have an AFP share for the Macs working perfectly with Time Machine now. I also have a CIFS share for a Windows machine working fine as well.

I was having problems with an APC UPS (lots of "data stale" and disconnects) but I updated the firmware on the UPS and haven't had an issue since.

I've configured SMART tests, ZFS snapshots, ZFS scrubs and even simulated a drive failure and replacement. All works well.

The hardware never even breaks a sweat. The CPU hardly ever exceeds 10% load - most of the time it's at 5% or lower while handling several simultaneous transfers. I'm using 12.9 GB of the 16 GB of RAM, all ARC.

It just all works.

My FreeNAS server isn't "in production" yet. I've done a lot of tests, now I'm doing dry runs to see how it behaves as I intend to use it. And it's working fine!

So - thank you! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.