Thanks in advance and hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pazure

Cadet
I'm an old hand with computers, having started back in the pre-Windows days of MS-DOS...glad they're gone. I've done most things one can accomplish with computers first doing graphic design, web design, 3D animation, multi-channel band audio recording, Help desk work, laptop/workstation repair and building, and now, I run my own business doing network engineering.

I've long salivated at the world of *nix computing and the power and speed of command line work, and have become an intermediate Linux user (I have 2 laptops running Ubuntu and Mint, and 3 Raspberry Pi's running a Debian OS as my DNS, DHCP servers, an HTPC running OSMC, and my own PBX running Incredible PBX for the Rapsberry Pi).

Now, I can't wait to get started with FreeNAS and it's rock-solid underlying OS. I've got lots of photos, FLAC's, videos, and movies to back up and my external drives are starting to show their age and size constrictions.

After reading CyberJocks excellent Hardware Recommendation Guide I got a fantastic deal on a kickin' SuperMicro 2U server ($215 on eBay), and am ready to start filling it with drives and 2 LSI M1015 controllers.

Specs of the server as purchased:

SuperMicro 12 HDD-Bay 2U Server
Includes SAS826A Backplane and 3 SAS Cables (SFF-8087)

SuperMicro X8DTN+ Motherboard
2x Intel Xeon E5620 2.4ghz 5.86 GT/s 12m Cache CPUs
18 DIMM slots (yes, you read that right).
6x 4gb PC3-10600R ECC Memory
Add Your Own 3.5″ SATA Hard Drives
Add Your Own half-height Raid card
SIMLP-3+ IPMI Remote Access Card
2x Gold rated 800w Power Supplies

My question regarding this rig will come in the appropriate forum, but just I wanted to start off by saying hello and showing off the soon to be kick-ass FreeNAS based setup. I give all of the moderators and other regulars a hearty, advance thank you for your excellent work and assistance with FreeNAS.

gpsguy

Welcome to the forums!

Sometimes I miss the good old DOS days. Life was so much simpler back then.

Sent from my phone

pazure

Cadet
True that gpsguy. There was a time one could actually be proficient in every single piece of software out there. dbase, Lotus 1-2-3. WordPerfect 4.1, etc. Those and a few others were it. Now, it's a galaxy of software, with bewildering complexity. But it's been a fun ride, and I've been blessed with being there from the early days.

As chance would have it, I worked for a little group called the InterNIC when it was a part of Network Solutions (the domain name folks), and for a while, they were the only domain name registrar, holding the only domain name registry, in the world. We had a party to celebrate the 500,000th domain name registered. Wow. Those were heady days.

Did you ever get a chance to play with the pre-IBM computers...the Commodore 64, Sinclair, Atari or TRS-80?

Status
Not open for further replies.