Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glorious1

Guru
To the developers of FreeNAS and the many experts on this forum, a huge thank you.

Just over a month ago, I'd never built anything substantial electronically, knew nothing about servers, and only had experience with Macs. With the great resources on this forum, answers to many questions, and the outstanding user guide, I learned enough to select components and put them together.

Less than three weeks ago, I started to test and configure. That's where I got scared. It was a lot more complicated than the hardware build. And most instructions assume a Windows or Linux computer available. But again with the resources above, and a lot of time, it's pretty much done.

I managed to wdiddle my WD Green drives, set up and execute the RAM test, stress test and examine the drives (resulting in a RMA), install FreeNAS, and configure it and reconfigure. It provides file serving via AFP, Time Machine backup, media storage and backup, and streaming to a home theater setup via NFS. It's got a few quirks and cryptic behaviors, but basically it's a very solid, dependable server.

I can't believe how far it's come in such a short time, but I didn't do it alone. Thanks for the software and all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.