TFTP Cisco Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

pamiller3

Dabbler
Hello all,

I have just installed FreeNAS recently and so far I have found it to fulfill every file server need. I started to tinker with the TFTP functions and I enabled it with all the defaults, but I cannot tftp simple config files from my cisco network equipment. I am a little shady on the user (/nobody) and possibly where it is storing the config files (/tftproot).

I do apologize for the noobness of my delima but any help would be greatly appreciated.

louisk

Patron
You probably want to change the tftproot to be somewhere on your shared volume, for example: /mnt/tank/tftproot
It's been a while since I tinkered with tftp, but I seem to recall it needing world write permission on the directory, so you should probably set that as well.

pamiller3

Dabbler
Alight I made a new RAID for the TFTP (simple 5gb HDD setup) and then changed the permissions on that volume to nobody and group of nobody. Still didn't work, am I missing something?

pamiller3

Dabbler
Alright I looked over the link, it seems to be mainly for freeBSD not freeNAS, I tried to make the /tftproot directory but in the root it is a read only even as a superuser. Is there any other suggestions?

ProtoSD

MVP
Alright I looked over the link, it seems to be mainly for freeBSD not freeNAS, I tried to make the /tftproot directory but in the root it is a read only even as a superuser. Is there any other suggestions?

FreeNAS is build on top of FreeBSD, so just about anything that pertains to FreeBSD also pertains to FreeNAS. The problem with creating the tftproot on "/" is that "/" is on your flash drive and is read-only. You need to make tftproot in a folder on your volume, then you can set permissions and it should work ok.

So like @louisk suggested:

You probably want to change the tftproot to be somewhere on your shared volume, for example: /mnt/tank/tftproot

pamiller3

Dabbler
Wow I knew it was something stupid as this who server is a very simple setup. Thanks for pointing it out tho.

I really appreciate the help and as soon as I get this finely tweaked I plan to setup a FTP server and I will probably be back.

peterh

Patron
In addition to other advices ( have tftpdirectory on a disk volume )
cisco gear expects the file to be there already.
So, for the first time create a file , say 'cisco-confg' by the command 'touch /<whatever</cisco-confg', then
make shure it's writeble by tftp user. Now you should be able to save your cisco config!

Status
Not open for further replies.