System does not support virtualization

evhan

Cadet
Hey all, to start off, I just want to claryfy that I'm pretty new to all of this.

I made a TrueNAS Core server using an AMD Ryzen 7 5700X on a MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI. I enabled SVM in my BIOS, which seems to be the only setting that affects virtual machines. But I am still getting this error:

Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 139, in call_method
    result = await self.middleware._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=self)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1236, in _call
    return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/service.py", line 496, in create
    rv = await self.middleware._call(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1236, in _call
    return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 981, in nf
    return await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm.py", line 1282, in do_create
    verrors.check()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/service_exception.py", line 62, in check
    raise self
middlewared.service_exception.ValidationErrors: [EINVAL] vm_create: This system does not support virtualization.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
This is a product-specific question. Have you asked MSI what settings need to be set in the BIOS for successful virtualization? We're not likely to be able to give you an exact answer for a random desktop or gaming board. These things aren't particularly well standardized and sometimes boards don't even support virtualization.

Arwen

MVP
Sometimes you have to enable both CPU virtualization and I/O virtualization. Check the IO section of the BIOS for things like VT-d, which I think AMD calls IOMMU or AMD-V. Modern virtualization software may require the I/O part to be enabled too.

But our Resident Grinch is also making a good point. What does MSI say? Or the MSI support forums say? (If any...)

devemia

Dabbler
Sometimes you have to enable both CPU virtualization and I/O virtualization. Check the IO section of the BIOS for things like VT-d, which I think AMD calls IOMMU or AMD-V. Modern virtualization software may require the I/O part to be enabled too.

But our Resident Grinch is also making a good point. What does MSI say? Or the MSI support forums say? (If any...)
Facing the same issue here, and I did enable SVM + IOMMU + SR-IOV on my board. I'm using a B550m PRO VC, which is an upgraded version from OP's, so it should be similar. The error appears when I decrypt the dataset (or when performing any pool/dataset operation), but the decryption works normally. However, the VM feature is inaccessible.

It does not really matter to me though as I deploy things on my hypervisor, just chiming in to report the issue.
1688021715650.png

1688020817107.png

But Applications work fine.
1688021025435.png

Last edited: