system dataset on boot-USB-Stick?

ObiTobi

Patron
Hi,
I always boot from a USB stick. So the system dataset was on the first zpool. Now I have moved the system dataset to the USB stick so that the disks in the zpool can go to sleep at night.
But is it a good idea to put the system dataset on the USB stick? To be honest, I don't know what important things are stored there and the USB sticks don't last that long.

chuck32

Guru
It's not a good idea to use an USB boot medium and putting the disks to sleep is also not the best for their longevity, if you have the correct drives they are made for running 24/7.

It will not be the end of the world to have the system dataset on the boot drive, it contains debugging files, SMB metadata, encryption keys according to documentation. Your actual pool data will not be affected, although reconfiguring may be a hassle depending on your setup.
I'm happily corrected, but the configuratio backups (which you should make on a regular basis) will not be able restore the dataset contents.

Any reason you cannot move your boot pool to a SSD?

ObiTobi

Patron
f you have the correct drives they are made for running 24/7.
I have 7 drives in my Box. All WWDC Red NAS drives.
The point was to save some energy when there is no access for about 5 hours a day

Any reason you cannot move your boot pool to a SSD?
In my box is no more space for one more drive. And with my 16 or 32GB USB sticks was the last ~10 years all great.
encryption keys
Encryption keys for what? If I have duplicated the boot stick, they should remain intact, right?