To mirror USB boot or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukeren

Explorer

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
In case the USB stick died, would I need anything else to get back in business than to install on a new USB stick, import the pools and then import the config?
Would I be missing anything
You have done your homework! A+

My question is, do you have to run a usb device?

lukeren

Explorer
I don't HAVE to, but I think it's kind of a waste to use an SSD or HDD for it, the amount of data taken in consideration.
Unless of course there's something I'm missing?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I never advice anyone to mirror the USB boot device. I feel it's a waste of time since recovery is so simple if you just maintain a copy of your configuration file.

I'm not sure the cost of a cheap SSD is a waste of money. If you consider the cost of a good quality USB Flash drive, replace it 4 or 5 times, get angry because it let you down, get antsy while waiting on an upgrade to install and it takes 10 minutes, eventually you come to the conclusion that a cheap SSD is worth it in the long run for all that stability.

lukeren

Explorer
You may very well be right. I do hate when hardware dies on me. My USB boot in my pfSense just died. Had backups of that too of course, but still. Annoying as it did it just as I was leaving.

Just to be sure, if I buy a cheap SSD, it would still be the same procedure? There's nothing in the config file pointing to the boot drive being USB? The change from USB to SATA/SAS wouldn't cause any issues?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Annoying as it did it just as I was leaving.
Something always fails at the most inopportune time.

Just to be sure, if I buy a cheap SSD, it would still be the same procedure?
Correct. It is no different than a USB Flash drive other than it would be called possibly ada0 vice da0. It would be blind to the system. Just toss in a SSD, install FreeNAS to it, select it as bootable in the BIOS, restore your config file. Breath much better knowing that your boot device isn't going to be the cause of your next FreeNAS issue, well unless you have infant mortality of course. And do not mirror it, that is a waste of money.

You may want to move your SATA ports around to ensure the boot device is on SATA port 0, some BIOS's like this better, some don't care at all. FreeNAS doesn't care either.

EDIT: Buy the cheapest SSD you can find, and I'm not kidding, but stick with a name brand you recognize, even a used name brand it's worth it. I like Adata myself, never had one go bad. I love Samsung but those are premium prices for this use. Here is a link to a used Intel SSD, if you could get this for $20 then that would be a good deal. This is just an example.

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP
The change from USB to SATA/SAS wouldn't cause any issues?
Nothing in my experience. If you've a spare SATA port, go for it! I was fed up with the consumption of USB keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.