System becomes unresponsive

LennyNero

Cadet
Hello all,

I'm experimenting/using freenas for one or two months now... and as far as I can tell: usually it's running just fine.
There is just one issue (that happened two times already):
After about 3 days of uptime the system became completely unresponsive: all network drives disconnected and I couldn't access the web GUI anymore.
My Freenas system runs completely headless; not even a graphics adapter installed - so I did power the system down and let it reboot. The only alert I got from the system was this:
"New alerts:
* TheVault.local had an unscheduled system reboot.
The operating system successfully came back online at ..... "
Yes, of course - I did reboot the system...

As I'm still quite new to Freenas I'm a bit uncertain how to investigate the root cause for the "unresponsiveness". Is there a "hidden" log file I should have a look at?
I'm using a fairly standard installation. No dockers, no plugins, no jails - this is a pure file server. My main desktop computer runs macOS 10.15.4

My system consists of the following:
Version: FreeNAS-11.3-U2.1
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B450F
RAM: 64GB ECC
Hard drives: Main pool: 4x Seagate Ironwolf Pro NAS 16TB (RaidZ2), Secondary pool: 4x Samsung 970 EVO 1TB (RaidZ1), Experimental pool: 1x Western Digital Gold 6TB
Hard disk controller: onboard for HDDs, Highpoint SSD7101A-1 for SSDs
Network card: Intel X540-T1
Boot drive: Samsung SM951

Any help/hint would appreciated.... and thank you for reading.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Look in /var/log. There's a couple of logs to look at to see if anything was logged just before the hang.
  • middlewared.log
  • console.log
  • daemon.log
Unfortunately, you may be prone to suffering these hangs, as your motherboard and CPU are gaming-oriented, not server-oriented. FreeNAS is a server OS, and runs best on server boards, with Intel CPUs and NICs.