synology to truenascore migration

camj1970

Cadet
I have two synology boxes with three nas raid6 with BTRFS file system. Can I move the disks to my new TrueNASCore system and it will recognize them? I have over 170TB of data to move So I'd prefer not to copy things over as it would take a long time.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No, btrfs is not supported. On Core, it is not present at all.

camj1970

Cadet
K, I thought I read somewhere that BTRFS was supported on core but not on scale.
Is there any benefit to core over scale if I am starting from scratch?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
CORE is considered the stable and best performing option for storage (and has jails/plugins as an extra)

SCALE is new (and not as well tuned for reliability and performance) and has all the latest changes to the UI and Apps via Kubernetes containers, so offers a lot in terms of potential (and also scale-out clustering when that matures).

Arwen

MVP
Be cautious, even if SCALE includes support for BTRFS, or could be made to have BTRFS support, Synology almost certainly did not use BTRFS RAID-6. If I remember correctly most NAS vendors that use BTRFS, use LVM or MD for RAID functions. This is because BTRFS RAID-5/6 is not considered stable.

tl;dnr
No. You need to copy the files over via the network to get a clean, reliable low risk copy.