Noob home user: migration from Synology to TrueNAS

kiriak

Contributor
another update for anyone interested, after 14 months of usage

- even for a noob like me, TrueNAS Core is a superb piece of software for a NAS (given it's restrictions for a someone like me, specifically lack of apps and plugins restrictions)
- a minimum amount of time and testing is required for new users before a production setup - for this learning even an ancient PC with 4 gb of RAM is ok
- my mirror boot pool of 2 tiny USB sticks continues to run fine
- I continue to be happy with my decision to migrate to TrueNAS - Thank you IX Systems !

what I miss from Synology?
- a photo gallery for my family members and maybe a couple of stable and easy to upgrade plugins

So I bought a used mini HP PC for 150 € and added an SSD disk. I made a few tests with TrueNAS Scale with limited success ( I'm a home user with no IT background and limited time) so I gave up and installed OMV with Portainer. It is a mini server with less than 7 W of consumption.

At present I have 2 NASes.
The TrueNAS Core on Enterprise (!) hardware, will be the reliable source of truth for my precious data. I'll consider what time it will be powered on, maybe for 2-3 days every weekend for maintaining backups, SMART tests, periodic scrubs etc.
The OMV on the mini PC will serve my needs for network disk, photo gallery, Syncthing etc. PLUS will be spare hardware my experiements with other platforms including Scale for possible migration to Scale for my main NAS in the future.

kiriak

Contributor
another update at 24 months of usage

- nothing fancy and nothing ugly to report, TrueNAS Core just works as expected,
to keep my data safe and correct and to make easy the backup of these data elsewhere and also to make easy the backup of my other computers etc to the NAS
- the 2 tiny USB sticks that make the boot pool continue strong
- the 2 small SSDs of the secondary pool that used to house 2-3 plugins are now almost idle as the plugins moved to VMs on an old USFF HP running Proxmox (I'm trying to find another use case for them)

- on the other hand I think that sooner or later I'll have to move to Scale

Many thanks to iXsystems and the community here for giving to home users the opportunity and help to have our hands on such quality software.