SyncThing - TrueNas

Porch01

Cadet
I am looking to have multiple jails for SyncThing. When I try to setup multiple jails, SyncThing doesn't start after creating a second jail. Is it possible to have 2 instances of Synching running on the same TrueNas system? If it is possible, what are the pros and cons of running 2 instances? Thank you.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
How are you creating your jails? Are you using the plugin? You cannot have more than once instance of any plugin, if I am not mistaken.
You can of course create an arbitrary number of standard jails and manually install any application in them.

Porch01

Cadet
I think I meant mount points rather than jails. I am looking to setup multiple mount points within one jail of SyncThing but that doesn't seem to work.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You can do that ... what precisely is the problem you are facing?

Porch01

Cadet
First, I stop SyncThing. Then I go to Mount Points. Click Actions, then Add. I select a Source and Destination. I now have 2 mount points setup in SyncThing_Jail. I go back to the SynThing Plugin and try to restart it. It does not restart.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Please show the configuration of the two mountpoints.

Porch01

Cadet
Here is a screenshot of both mount points. If I remove the bottom one, SyncThing will start up. TrueNas version TrueNAS-12.0-U3. SyncThing version 1.15.1. Thank you for all your help so far.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 634

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
They cannot be nested. Plain and simple. You need two separate paths inside the jail.

E.g.
Code:
.../root/mnt/SyncThing/Data
.../root/mnt/SyncThing/Temp

Last edited:

chx_b

Cadet
Perhaps I'm wrong about this, but I am under the impression that using Syncthing with ZFS is a pretty awful idea. Maybe someone can point to a better solution with an rsync setup to ameliorate this?
The reason appears to be that syncthing was not created to work with block-based filesystems like ZFS. (See comment section here)
It seems like (if I am understanding correctly) you end up with a ton of copies of the data everywhere - each time a very minor adjustment to the data occurs. Furthermore, ZFS tries to track all of these near-identical blocks - so the system ends up with a *ton* of space taken up by file copies (snapshots get far, far less efficient essentially).
The issue raised to syncthing shows they're not too interested in solving this behavior.

Again, I may be misunderstanding this, but the sentiment points towards **don't use syncthing on ZFS**.

Anyone know of a better solution?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
This would seem to be a problem if you want to snapshot the dataset or pool, yes, but if frequent and long term snapshots are not a requirement, then this is really only an exercise in CoW issues such as fragmentation. If you were only keeping, let's say, half a dozen snapshots and were not making deltas that involved terabytes of writes, this could be fine. But yes, it's a pain point.

I tend to architect my workloads to favor rsync (unidirectional). For bidirectional sync, I find Unison is still the best tool, even though it has limitations.