Synchthing Problems???

void_one

Dabbler
Using Synchthing on TrueNas Scale (22.02.4) and its always given me some difficulties. I'm not the best at this stuff, but I have plenty of other docker apps working fine.

The biggest issue is that after a sync is completed to the server from a device the folder names are not correct. Some of the folders have the correct names and others don't, they are random capitalized numbers and letter. Since I'm trying to use this as a Liightroom backup/media management the folder structure is very important.
The second problem is this error:
failed to setup inotify handler. Please increase inotify limits

is the inotify handler the cause of this issue? I've searched far and wide and cant really seem to find a good fix for that, at lest on TrueNas Scale.
I'm so confused as to how Synchthing can tell me a sync is complete and still have the file stretcher wrong?
I know there must be someone out there who knows better than I do about this and I would really appreciate your input!

NickF

Guru
Are you pointing Syncthing directly to a dataset like this?
1667961189481.png

If so, is that dataset set with Case sensitivity enabled:
1667961243577.png

If so, you may have to make a new one that is case insensitive when working between multiple nodes of different OS's (*NIX vs Windows). Windows does not care about capital letters vs not capital letters. Others do, and that may be the issue you are having.

void_one

Dabbler
It looks like I fixed the second issue by looking over this: inotify-limits

Is that option for the first picture from the TrueCharts app or the stock one?

Also, something else that's interesting that I see now. In the picture below, Synchthing displays the correct file structure, but as you can see form the other picture, just logged into the server with my mac its all wrong.
Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 8.07.49 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 8.10.06 PM.jpg

I can try the other suggestion and make a new dataset with case insensitive and see if that works.
Just to be clear though - if I orginize my files on this dataset with all lowercase in theroy it should solve this problem on this dataset?

Bikerchris

Patron
Hi @void_one , I've been using ST on Scale and haven't had any issues (edit: it was terrible at first, but that's more my lack of knowledge) - I wonder if yours relates to your Mac usage? Do you have unusual characters in folders, such as colons within a folder names?