Resilvering to larger disks

throny

Cadet
Hi,

I just wanted to upgrade my pool (2 mirror vdevs, 2x3TB and 2x4TB) by replacing the 3TB disks with 2x12TB HDDs.
So I started resilvering the 3TB HDDs one by one to the 12TB disks. This seemed to work well. However, the available storage didn't increase, so I clicked "Expand" in the storage overview.

This resulted in this error:
[EFAULT] Command partprobe /dev/sde failed (code 1): Failed to add inotify watch for /run/udev: Too many open files Error: Partition(s) 1 on /dev/sde have been written, but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change, probably because it/they are in use. As a result, the old partition(s) will remain in use. You should reboot now before making further changes. Failed to add inotify watch for /run/udev: Too many open files

I obviously restarted after that, which lead to the pool being degraded, showing a ghost disk, which I replaced with the "unassigned" 12TB again, waiting for the resilvering to complete.
I'm not sure how to move on now. autoexpand is enabled in ZFS, so it should handle the expand itself. I just ran a scrub as the disk I re-assigned showed a checksum error, but I'm a little concerned, as my status shows that one disk with the mount name instead of the device ID:
image.png

What's the best way to move on from here?

danb35

Hall of Famer

throny

Cadet
Well, I tried a few times with different workarounds, but none of this is really working and I am not really confident to touch the partition by hand. So I'll patiently wait for the bug getting fixed. Thanks for pointing that out! :)

throny

Cadet
I had the same issue, but after the initial resilvering, all I did was:
Code:
parted /dev/sdX resizepart 1 100%

Then TrueNAS found the new size and expanded the pool.

Can't thank Starblazr enough! This did the whole trick for me too. Just applied it to both of the discs and it worked well. Immediately had the whole space :)