Synchronization application for SMB folder and Windows clients

Antoshka

Dabbler
Hi,

Recently I finished a build of my first FreeNAS, so now I'm trying to configure it and I need your help/advise.

My use case
Devices: home FreeNAS server, 1 PC (Windows), 2 laptops (Windows and Mac), 1 tablet-laptop (Windows), 3 smartphones, TV, backup server (old WD NAS).
Users: 2 people.
Scenario: I'd like to have a SMB folder that will be syncronized between 1 PC (Windows) <-> 1 laptop (Mac) <-> 1 tablet-laptop (Windows). Second laptop (Windows) needs only read access through SMB (it's a reason of SMB folder).

I tried to install and configure "Syncthing" plugin, but this application doesn't really support a syncronization on top of SMB folder + Windows clients. I think it works great with Linux, but it's a crap on Windows, client is awful.

I read that the Resilio Sync app could be better, but I saw a few posts with similar issues for syncronization on SMB folder.

Also I installed and briefly reviewed NextCloud - it looks great, but as I understood it's impossible to configure it on top of SMB folder, am I right?

So my question, does anyone use any application for simple syncronization (would be enough only local sync) on top of SMB folder between Windows/Mac clients?
I'm looking for positive/negative experience, any experience would help.

Thank you in advance.

Yorick

Wizard
I'm not sure I understand the use case. You are saying you want the folder contents to be available offline on the client, and then re-synced to the SMB share when the client comes back online?

Antoshka

Dabbler
Let me provide a few examples.

Prerequisites:
FreeNAS, PC (Windows), laptop (Mac), tablet-laptop (Windows) have folder A, this folder is syncronized between devices. This folder A on FreeNAS is shared by SMB.

Use Case 1: I've added file B into folder A on PC (Windows). Syncronization. FreeNAS, PC (Windows), laptop (Mac), tablet-laptop (Windows) have folder A with file B. I can see file B through network, SMB.

Use Case 2: I've added file C into folder A through SMB. Syncronization. FreeNAS, PC (Windows), laptop (Mac), tablet-laptop (Windows) have folder A with file C.

Antoshka

Dabbler
Small note: for use case 1-2 all devices are online. I'd like to get really basic functionality that worked as a clock on QNAP, I'm sure it's totally possible with FreeNAS, it's necessary to find the right way:smile:

Antoshka

Dabbler
Firstly, thank you for the proposal. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that it will do job because as I see from getting started, schedule topic - app (backup) runs only by schedule, there's no option "as changes detected". Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dan Tudora

Patron
Firstly, thank you for the proposal. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that it will do job because as I see from getting started, schedule topic - app (backup) runs only by schedule, there's no option "as changes detected". Correct me if I'm wrong.
I think you a right
we use duplicati for backup/sync backup indeed
maybe in your case answer is rsync/cwRsync run from 5 to 5 minutes or less
success

thehoney4you

Cadet
Seems to me the answer is to map a share on each of the computers, save file there?
net use x: \\server\share
or did I miss something?

ChrisRJ

Wizard
You wouldn't have the file available locally on your device for offline use.