SMB share for Dos Application

InGenetic

Contributor
Hi all,

i need your help, i've just installed a freenas here with Version: FreeNAS-11.3-U2.1 .
i'm using smb share for my users here, everything good but there's one problem,
i'm share 1 folder which inside are dos files( Old Dos Application ), i've try over and over to share that folder but no luck, the application cannot running, the application always closed everytime i open it (exe file, i believe it's build from foxpro, it's accounting program ).

before i ever share that old dos application with FreeNAS-11.1-U6 , it's working, the application running smoothly.

please advice , how to solve this problem.

Thankyou very much.

Last edited:

InGenetic

Contributor
i mean, i have a dos application build on foxpro since 2008, i can open file and use the application in my local pc
but when i upload the files on freenas and create smb share for the dataset which the dos file inside.

Then with another pc ( windows xp ) , i create map folder to that dataset ex: drive Z:
why everytime i try to open the exe file it always closing again not after 2 second , just show the blank black dos, then closed again.

but if i share the files via ex: in my pc ( windows 7, 10, or windows server ) and share the folder on the LAN,
then another pc map to that folder , it can be accessed and the dos application running smoothly. (xp can open it, if using windows 10 i'm using dosbox emulator)
why i can't share smoothly with freenas 11.3-U2 ?
please advice.

regards,

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
For sure you will need to set "NTLMv1 Auth" and "Enable SMB1 support" both to be allowed (under Services | SMB), then restart the SMB service.

Security risks abound, but it seems you will accept that risk to have your app working.

InGenetic

Contributor
For sure you will need to set "NTLMv1 Auth" and "Enable SMB1 support" both to be allowed (under Services | SMB), then restart the SMB service.

Security risks abound, but it seems you will accept that risk to have your app working.

hi sretalla,

still no luck, i already done to set "NTLMv1 Auth" and "Enable SMB1 support" before,

but i ever trying to share this kind of dos file, in freenas 11.1-u6 , it's working, i can create dataset for that file (dos system), and doing smb share , the other computer mapping to it, it's working, the application running smoothly.

did i have to downgrade my new freenas FreeNAS-11.3-U2.1 to the 11.1-U6 ? to get things work ?
actually what different things between both of them ? especially for my case ( sharing dos file ).

Please advice,

Regards,

Heracles

Wizard
did i have to downgrade my new freenas FreeNAS-11.3-U2.1 to the 11.1-U6 ?

Considering that the latest and greatest of FoxPros was discontinued more than 13 years ago, I would say that you need to upgrade your accounting software more than downgrading your NAS to that level... (That was for Visual FoxPro. The actual FoxPro died in 1994, so more than 25 years ago!!!!!!!)

A ton of companies died because they refused to update their backend for too long. Just don't join them and update yours while it is still time...

InGenetic

Contributor
hi finally i found something interesting at my dos file, like below :

i create mapping folder to my freenas ex : Z drive .
the full path to running the exe become this => Z:\JFI\JFI GL\JFI 2020\GLUTAMA.EXE ( 34 char )
then the application will running smoothly.

but if the full path add 1 more char like below => Z:\JFI\JFI GL\JFI 2020a\GLUTAMA.EXE ( 35 char )

the application will automatically closed everytime the exe file executed.

i guess : the limitation of character / full path causing the application won't running in my freenas.

i dunno if that limitation of char comes from the application it self or from the freenas.
cause if i share that files on windows share ( windows 7 / windows 10 or windows server ) there's no limitation of full path, for example below :

V:\LOGBOOK ACCOUNTING\1-GL BU\JFI\JFI GL\JFI GL 2017 old 20-12-17\GLUTAMA.EXE

it can be running smoothly.

Please advice.

Regards,

InGenetic

Contributor
Considering that the latest and greatest of FoxPros was discontinued more than 13 years ago, I would say that you need to upgrade your accounting software more than downgrading your NAS to that level... (That was for Visual FoxPro. The actual FoxPro died in 1994, so more than 25 years ago!!!!!!!)

A ton of companies died because they refused to update their backend for too long. Just don't join them and update yours while it is still time...

Hi Heracles , u're right .
now my company starting implementation of odoo erp with build in accounting program, as we started using odoo in transition period we have to running both of them, for comparison , if the accounting report is match, we will leave the dos application.
but for now, we still need it.

and i found the hint which causing my dos application won't run at this post : https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/smb-share-for-dos-application.84590/post-585721

Please advice,

Regards,

InGenetic

Contributor
hi finally i found something interesting at my dos file, like below :

i create mapping folder to my freenas ex : Z drive .
the full path to running the exe become this => Z:\JFI\JFI GL\JFI 2020\GLUTAMA.EXE ( 34 char )
then the application will running smoothly.

but if the full path add 1 more char like below => Z:\JFI\JFI GL\JFI 2020a\GLUTAMA.EXE ( 35 char )

the application will automatically closed everytime the exe file executed.

i guess : the limitation of character / full path causing the application won't running in my freenas.

i dunno if that limitation of char comes from the application it self or from the freenas.
cause if i share that files on windows share ( windows 7 / windows 10 or windows server ) there's no limitation of full path, for example below :

V:\LOGBOOK ACCOUNTING\1-GL BU\JFI\JFI GL\JFI GL 2017 old 20-12-17\GLUTAMA.EXE

it can be running smoothly.

Please advice.

Regards,
hi all,

is it related to setting of dos char set ?

here in freenas 11.1-u6 :
dos char set.JPG

and below in FreeNAS-11.3-U1 :

dos char set2.JPG

there's no dos char set option.

please advice.

Regards,

Attachments

• dos char set2.JPG
    dos char set2.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 191

Heracles

Wizard
Hi again,

Unfortunately, I do not have anything that is even close to be that outdated... As such, I can not do any test, never did, never worked with anything similar.

The charset is a clear possibility that would explain why it does not work. A too long path would also be a good idea to test and investigate but again, because I have nothing that is so desperately outdated, I can not say more...

InGenetic

Contributor
Hi again,

Unfortunately, I do not have anything that is even close to be that outdated... As such, I can not do any test, never did, never worked with anything similar.

The charset is a clear possibility that would explain why it does not work. A too long path would also be a good idea to test and investigate but again, because I have nothing that is so desperately outdated, I can not say more...

Hi, Hercles,

it's ok nvm ,

for a moment we'll trick that files with character amount not more than 34 char on user map folder.
Thank you for your advice.

Best Regards,