Can't rename folder, sub-folder on SMB Share from Mac OS Ventura. It works from Windows

titust1

Explorer
BTW I have the latest Scale and I love it. What I want to achieve is very simple.
I have multiple SMB Shares. Most of them are used by Windows clients with no problems.
I have one SMB Share that is used by a MAC Mini running Mac OS Ventura, and eventually by Windows client as well.
My ACL permissions are the same on all shares... but what's wrong then?:
1. On the Mac I can create a folder in the SMB Share. I can Delete it , Rename it, copy files and folders on it, without problems
2. Within this folder I can manually create another folder, or I copy a folder or file
3. If I want to rename the original top folder, Finder asks me for a password. I type my (admin) password and I get the message:
You don’t have permission to rename the item “untitled folder”
If I type a wrong password it wiggles as for an incorrect password. If want to rename the folder from Windows it works

Question is what the heck is wrong with Mac OS, and how could I fix it? Goggle search found many issues like this, but without resolution
Any Mac users around here? who share to MacOS?
Do I have to set special ACLs for this share?

Thanks a lot
Titus

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
BTW I have the latest Scale and I love it. What I want to achieve is very simple.
I have multiple SMB Shares. Most of them are used by Windows clients with no problems.
I have one SMB Share that is used by a MAC Mini running Mac OS Ventura, and eventually by Windows client as well.
My ACL permissions are the same on all shares... but what's wrong then?:
1. On the Mac I can create a folder in the SMB Share. I can Delete it , Rename it, copy files and folders on it, without problems
2. Within this folder I can manually create another folder, or I copy a folder or file
3. If I want to rename the original top folder, Finder asks me for a password. I type my (admin) password and I get the message:
You don’t have permission to rename the item “untitled folder”
If I type a wrong password it wiggles as for an incorrect password. If want to rename the folder from Windows it works

Question is what the heck is wrong with Mac OS, and how could I fix it? Goggle search found many issues like this, but without resolution
Any Mac users around here? who share to MacOS?
Do I have to set special ACLs for this share?

Thanks a lot
Titus

Not sure what the answer is. Any chance of testing with a previous generation MacOS (e.g Monterey)?

If not, can you update to latest Ventura version and then test with 22.12.2 when it comes out. If you have the time, report a bug and help us resolve.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Ventura does seem to have a lot of SMB complaints.
One interesting change is Ventura is trying to force the transition to SMBv3.
That might be an interesting test to see if its causing the issue... or it might only be when MacOS is acting as SMB server.

Some news that Ventura 13.3 is a better SMB version... this week?

titust1

Explorer
Ventura does seem to have a lot of SMB complaints.
One interesting change is Ventura is trying to force the transition to SMBv3.
That might be an interesting test to see if its causing the issue... or it might only be when MacOS is acting as SMB server.

Some news that Ventura 13.3 is a better SMB version... this week?
Thanks for the info about 13.3. I did install it but unfortunately it behaves the same

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Thanks for the info about 13.3. I did install it but unfortunately it behaves the same
Hmm.

We know windows works with Bluefin. It would be useful to know whether either:

1. Ventura works with TrueNAS CORE (then Bluefin has an issue)
2. Monterey works with Bluefin (then Ventura has the issue)

Anyone else able to test and verify?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I'd have to look at it. There have been cases in past where MacOS clients / applications have left dangling opens of files on the SMB shares, which would cause renames to fail with STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION. In general I use MacOS Ventura at home and don't have problems with renames on SCALE or Core.

ieronymous

Dabbler
I'd have to look at it. There have been cases in past where MacOS clients / applications have left dangling opens of files on the SMB shares, which would cause renames to fail with STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION. In general I use MacOS Ventura at home and don't have problems with renames on SCALE or Core.
Can you share with us the exact smb properties you ve chosen on Truenas side?
Then comparison with other setups, might bring to the light something useful.
By the way, I m facing the exact same problem with the macOS client not being able to rename the folders he is creating inside the share. A pop up window appears asking for creds, which are not capable of doing the rename process. Instead a message you dont have permissions to rename this folder appears after the correct fill in with the creds. if you right click and get info action, at permission options you can just see (and not modify) only the you have custom access message.
I m also testing it right now with macOS Sierra, so it doesn t seem to be a problem with macOS versions rather with the way the smb share is being created on Truenas.

Last edited:

titust1

Explorer
Can you share with us the exact smb properties you ve chosen on Truenas side?
Then comparison with other setups, might bring to the light something useful.
By the way, I m facing the exact same problem with the macOS client not being able to rename the folders he is creating inside the share. A pop up window appears asking for creds, which are not capable of doing the rename process. Instead a message you dont have permissions to rename this folder appears after the correct fill in with the creds. if you right click and get info action, at permission options you can just see (and not modify) only the you have custom access message.
I m also testing it right now with macOS Sierra, so it doesn t seem to be a problem with macOS versions rather with the way the smb share is being created on Truenas.
Hi all,
I opened a case at apple support and of course they told me they don’t support this because there is a third party product involved in this.
Obviously I insisted, and finally I found a rep who accepted to escalate the issue to a higher level. Then they asked to prove it to them andI recorded all the steps in the GUI, then I did the same thing command line. There was the same result. In the end they acknowledged there is a problem / bug in the latest Ventura and it will be fixed in future releases.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Hi all,
I opened a case at apple support and of course they told me they don’t support this because there is a third party product involved in this.
Obviously I insisted, and finally I found a rep who accepted to escalate the issue to a higher level. Then they asked to prove it to them andI recorded all the steps in the GUI, then I did the same thing command line. There was the same result. In the end they acknowledged there is a problem / bug in the latest Ventura and it will be fixed in future releases.
Did they provide a bug ID?

If someone in Apple wants iX support in replicating issue, please DM me with contact info.