Files moved are not found (SMB)

cap

Contributor
I use TrueNAS Scale 22.12.

Most of the time I access TrueNAS Scale with a Mac (Ventura) via SMB.

Just now I moved some files from one directory to another directory in a SMB share on a dataset. I could not open the moved files on the Mac afterwards. The Finder on the Mac, after clicking on the file, states that the file cannot be found. However, if I then copy the file to my Mac, the file can be opened again.

What is this?

I have another Linux computer. I have not yet reproduced the scenario there.

Edit: These problems do not seem to exist under Linux (OpenSuse). At least that's what my quick test showed.

Last edited:

cap

Contributor
When copying files, the problem does not occur. Only when moving files macos behaves as described above.

cap

Contributor
It is probably a bug in macOS Ventura (and not scale).

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I'm pretty sure I saw another thread describing a similar issue with windows as the client.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
It is probably a bug in macOS Ventura (and not scale).

Can you verify with 22.12.1??

Apple is so big that it doesn't have bugs - they just provide interoperability challenges for other vendors to work around..

cap

Contributor
Can you verify with 22.12.1??

Unfortunately yes. I have only tried it with one or two files. But anodos has looked at my pcap. He too was able to reproduce the problem.

It seems to be a bug in the Finder. I have not tested alternative file managers yet due to lack of time.

The moved file is on the SMB share, but the Finder can't open it. If you then copy it somewhere else or rename it, the Finder should be able to open the file again.

Terminal probably works. The macOS own SMB server also seems to be affected (i think anodos has tried this).

=> macOS/Finder Bug

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Yes, I filed a bug report with Apple. If MacOS ventura negotiates an SMB session with AAPL extensions (regardless of server type -- even MacOS), then moving files around to different dirs will be broken. This is as of Ventura 13.3 BETA 22E5219e.

This only impacts file moves through Finder, it's not a MacOS SMB client bug (or at least a non-obvious one).

Reactions: cap

jshannonxx

Cadet
@anodos Do you have any update on 13.3 beta 3 addressing this issue? We also experience it on Monterey installs 12.0-12.6. (2015 iMac and 2012 Mac Pro). We are not using TrueNAS, my IT department set up a Windows 2019 server but our Mac users (creative department) are all experiencing this issue. We can drag files into the appropriate app in the dock to open them, but not double click them or right click "Open With". I've been scouring forums for answers and this thread is the only one that seems to have narrowed down the issue. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

cap

Contributor
Ventura 13.3 - Finder-Bug still exists (with ForkLift it seems to work).