Symlink and TrueNAS-13.0-U1.1

matheusber

Cadet
Hi,

I had symlinks working on CIFS/SMB when running TrueNAS 12 and after updated to 13 it is not working anymore.

I export smb share for a Kodi and in this directory I gather all my media directories using symlinks. Now it shows nothing on it, tried using windows.

I used both "wide links = yes" and "follow symlinks = yes" and no good.

The first option is not accepted anymore on the share config. Is this still doable? Should I search for another sharing protocol?

Thanks,

matheus

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Upstream Samba disabled wide links by default as a security measure. To restore the behavior in 12, add

allow insecure wide links = yes

to the Auxiliary Parameters field of the SMB service under Services->SMB.

matheusber

Cadet
Thanks for the input. As for 13, there is no way to enable it?

I don't see an easy way to restore 12 here :(

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
You misunderstand. To restore the same behavior as in 12, add that text to the Auxiliary Parameters field of the SMB service in 13.

matheusber

Cadet
Hi Samuel,

yeah, I did. I really did.

But that didn't solve it :(

I had one share that contains links to other pools, and that used to work fine. Using that line, all got back to work was the link to the same pool.

My main issue is to know if this is still doable. Then I will search for how to do it.

Thanks again,

matheus

systemofapwne

Dabbler
I am facing similar troubles. My SMB service has a few aux parameters, including
allow insecure wide links = yes
Whenever I want to add the "wide links" aux paramter to a share, I only get this error:
wide links is a blacklisted auxiliary parameter. Changes to this parameter are not permitted.

I can understand, that this might be a good practice to block this for most people but hurts others, that deliberately rely on it.
Unfortunately, to my understanding, "wide links" are not "just blocked" but incompatible right now with how SMB works on TrueNAS (https://github.com/truenas/middleware/pull/8966). What a pitty. I had to rearrange my shares and the internal structure of them due to this but I get, why chrooting the shares (and thus breaking "wide links") is a good security measure.

TheClem

Cadet
Came here with the same issue.
After some research and experimentation I found a viable workaround for your this issue :

On Core :
Code:
mount -t nullfs /source/path /target/path
untested, but it's from forums.freebsd.org, so it should work.

On Scale :
Code:
mount --bind /source/path /target/path

In both case the mountpoint folder needs to be pre-existing, unlike what you would expect with zfs mount

Edit:
Note: that seems to prevent NFS service from reloading / restarting, and thus will require manual/scripted unmount every time this is needed.

Last edited: