CIFS/Samba symbolic links

Status
Not open for further replies.

GezusK

Cadet
I used to run Windows 2003 Std Server, and had three 2TB drives in it. On one of the drives, I had a folder with symlinks to folders on the other two drives.

I've tried doing the same set up with FreeNAS 7, and I'm running into problems. First, there was no simple way to do it from the GUI, but I did figure out how to do it in the cmd line. Second, and the biggest problem, while think link works fine Quixplorer, it does not work on my Windows 7 machine.

I've tried sharing the folder that symlink goes to separately, and that will not make the symlink work. I've tried adding these:
follow symlinks = yes
wide symlinks = yes

Which still isn't letting it work. Is it possible for it to work?

I'm not interested in RAID. I would like to be able to access all 3 drives from a single share, but if a drive fails, only the contents of that drive is lost. So JBOD is out.

hypopo

Cadet
I used to run Windows 2003 Std Server, and had three 2TB drives in it. On one of the drives, I had a folder with symlinks to folders on the other two drives.

I've tried doing the same set up with FreeNAS 7, and I'm running into problems. First, there was no simple way to do it from the GUI, but I did figure out how to do it in the cmd line. Second, and the biggest problem, while think link works fine Quixplorer, it does not work on my Windows 7 machine.

I've tried sharing the folder that symlink goes to separately, and that will not make the symlink work. I've tried adding these:
follow symlinks = yes
wide symlinks = yes

Which still isn't letting it work. Is it possible for it to work?

I'm not interested in RAID. I would like to be able to access all 3 drives from a single share, but if a drive fails, only the contents of that drive is lost. So JBOD is out.

I have exactly the same problem under FreeNAS 8. In addition, I played with "unix extensions" parameter. My filesystem is UFS, no RAID is in use.

Is there a way to use symbolic links under FreeNAS? It's desperately required because I need to sort my library by title and by author, for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.