Symbolic link to another dataset to be seen in SMB

bmac6996

Dabbler
Hello.

Looking for help. Trying to create a symbolic link to another folder, in another dataset so it can be seen in SMB shares like a Windows client.

I have these options set in advance SMB:
allow insecure wide links = yes
unix extensions = no
host msdfs = yes
follow symlinks = yes

SMB has been restarted.
Tried using the "ln -s" and "ln -rs" to create my link and while they do show up in ssh, but not in smb.

I read something about configuring /etc/fstab but not sure. My search is ending up with the same articles.

Running version: TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.3.1
Thanks in advance.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I don't think it's going to work like you think.

You're probably on the right track with dfs, but you'll need to share the second dataset and use dfs to put them together.

bmac6996

Dabbler
I don't think it's going to work like you think.

You're probably on the right track with dfs, but you'll need to share the second dataset and use dfs to put them together.

was trying to get the symbolic link to work but couldn't, then tried DFS and that didn't work.

Can you not share sym links in an SMB anymore with new versions of scale?

As I understand with DFS, or at least the examples I've seen, it's an SMB share that is a centralized aggregate of other SMB shares? Correct me if I'm wrong. But based on the examples, it looks like you can only share the root of the share, but not folder-layers deep? Example: you can share \\truenas\media but you cannot share \\truenas\media\album\popular ?? Anyways couldn't get that work either but you are saying even the dataset where \\truenas\media\album\popular resides in, needs to be setup for DFS also, not just the newly created DFS dataset share I created?

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If you want the result of:
Code:
DFS root share
    Share1
    Share2
    Share3

You need all 3 "members" of the DFS to be shared

Like:

pool1/dataset1 -> Share1
pool1/dataset1/dataset2 -> Share2
pool1/dataset3/whatever -> Share3

bmac6996

Dabbler
You need all 3 "members" of the DFS to be shared

Like:

pool1/dataset1 -> Share1
pool1/dataset1/dataset2 -> Share2
pool1/dataset3/whatever -> Share3
In your example, dataset1 and dataset3, will those dataset need to be setup as DFS also?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
You could probably just perform local bind mounts rather than trying to do symlinks. Then you don't need to try to downgrade security settings of your NAS. You'll need to come up with strategy of how to maintain this though (will be more admin overhead for you).

BTW, we blacklist the widelinks parameter that controls whether users can follow symlink out of share root.

Generally, it's better to just have multiple shares and train users.

sretalla