Supermicro X11SSM-F - CPU coolers and memory dimms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Dawson

Cadet
I am looking at a new build using an X11SSM-F motherboard, and I want a cooler with an airflow that goes parallel to the memory dimms, IE to exit over the rear of the board.

I am concerned that many coolers seem to have heat pipes that might foul the nearest dimm slot.

Can the forum advise if they have either coolers that are OK and do not foul the dimms, OR if they know any coolers that do foul the dimms.

Many thanks, Ian

iammykyl

Explorer
I am looking at a new build using an X11SSM-F motherboard, and I want a cooler with an airflow that goes parallel to the memory dimms, IE to exit over the rear of the board.

I am concerned that many coolers seem to have heat pipes that might foul the nearest dimm slot.

Can the forum advise if they have either coolers that are OK and do not foul the dimms, OR if they know any coolers that do foul the dimms.

Many thanks, Ian
Providing you are using ECC RAM, they come "Bare", no protruding heat fins. As far as I know, there are no coolers that would block the first DIMM slot.

What CPU are you going to use?
If it comes with a Stock heatsink/fan, they are designed to keep the processor within it's thermal limits, so use it first, determine it's noise performance, if required then get an aftermarket one.
Most HTFs can be orientated to blow any way you wish. You must also take in to consideration the case dimensions as a tall one may not fit.

Ian Dawson

Cadet
Providing you are using ECC RAM, they come "Bare", no protruding heat fins. As far as I know, there are no coolers that would block the first DIMM slot.

What CPU are you going to use?
If it comes with a Stock heatsink/fan, they are designed to keep the processor within it's thermal limits, so use it first, determine it's noise performance, if required then get an aftermarket one.
Most HTFs can be orientated to blow any way you wish. You must also take in to consideration the case dimensions as a tall one may not fit.
I am looking at something like an Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5. The site I looked at for that this morning does not appear to have any stock coolers for any of that Xeon range. I will look further...
I am building a custom case, so height is not a concern. Something along the lines of a server rack, 200mm in height probably, with airflow in one end and out the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.