Supermicro X10SRH-CLN4F Server Performance Tests - Weird Results?

Status
Not open for further replies.

souporman

Explorer
Big mpr driver update released! I'd be interested to see everybody's results now... Also SAS3IRCU!!!

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Phase 10 was uploaded today for the 3008 chip. I'm curious if there is any improvement in the performance for you.
ftp ://ftp.supermicro.com/driver/SAS/LSI/3008/Firmware/

TXAG26

Patron
Phase 10 was uploaded today for the 3008 chip. I'm curious if there is any improvement in the performance for you.
ftp ://ftp.supermicro.com/driver/SAS/LSI/3008/Firmware/

Damnit! Supermicro leap-frogged PH9, which if I'm not mistaken, is the version in FreeNAS 9.3.1. Today, Supermicro released PH10...

So we have PH8 and PH10 from Supermicro and a PH9 driver in FreeNAS. :confused::confused::confused:
@cyberjock - Any ideas???

-

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I've sent a note to my Supermicro support contact inquiring about version 9. grrrrr

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Because supermicro tech support advised me not to do that. Have you done it?

souporman

Explorer
Yep, I did it on 8/25. I have 5 5048R-E1CR36L servers that I manage. I didn't do any serious performance testing after upgrading, but I loooooooooooooooooooove the addition of SAS3IRCU for blinking dead drives.

souporman

Explorer
btw the way I cross flashed the 3008 was to boot to UEFI shell, and pop a thumb drive in with the following files: SAS3FLASH.EFI, mpt3x64.rom and SAS9300_8i_IT.bin. Then I just did the following:
sas3flash.efi -o -e 6 (wipes out the memory on the controller completely)
sas3flash -o -f SAS9300_8i_IT.bin -b mpt3x64.rom

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Well, I got tired of waiting and went ahead and updated using the Avago firmware. I wasn't quite as trusting as you, so instead of erasing everything and flashing, I used the upgrade uption. I also left out the mptxxxx.rom, because I don't want the boot bios option.
sas3flash.efi -fwall SAS9300_8i_IT.bin

I like this method better, because it does a check of the file and if things are ok, it then overwrites the backup firmware. From the documentation:
Use the Firmware All (–fwall) command to update the firmware on all supported controllers. This command only
updates to a later version of the firmware image and does not allow the firmware to be downgraded. The update
process includes the following steps:
1. Open the specified file.
2. Verify that the file is a valid firmware image, and run through all supported controllers.
The steps to update and validate the firmware image are listed in the description of the Firmware Update
command.
3. Perform a series of safety checks on each controller, and update the controller if all of the checks are validated.
This command relies on the SAS3Flash Utility to determine which controllers need to be updated. Therefore, it is
not possible to override any of the safety checks.
4. Skip the controller and continue the process with the next supported controller if any safety check for a given
controller fails.
If the firmware download operation succeeds, the SAS3Flash Utility uploads the firmware image and compares it with
the downloaded image. If the comparison fails, the utility erases the firmware image and the command fails. If a
firmware image is already loaded in the flash memory, it continues to be used, and all firmware update operations
download the new firmware image to a backup area.
If both the firmware download operation and the comparison of the uploaded firmware image with the downloaded
firmware image are successful, this command issues an adapter reset, which automatically copies the new firmware
image from the backup area to the running firmware location.
When the firmware image is successfully downloaded, the SAS3Flash Utility tries to update the firmware version in the
VPD file. It checks the VPD information on manufacturing page 1 to determine whether valid VPD data is available. If
so, and if the VPD data has a keyword to hold the firmware version, the utility updates the version string with the
version of the newly downloaded firmware image.
Syntax:
sas3flash –fwall image.fw

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

TXAG26

Patron
No! It's not supposed to match!

Use whatever version the latest release of FreeNAS tells you to use.

I took a page from LSI/Avago and used the word "match" loosely, as in P12 firmware is correct for the V13 driver, which is in the current FreeNAS 9.10.xxxx. It's still a head scratcher as to what LSI/Avago were thinking by having the firmware/driver pairings one-off on the version numbers...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I took a page from LSI/Avago and used the word "match" loosely, as in P12 firmware is correct for the V13 driver, which is in the current FreeNAS 9.10.xxxx. It's still a head scratcher as to what LSI/Avago were thinking by having the firmware/driver pairings one-off on the version numbers...
Ah, everything's fine then...

Whoever came up with this brilliant idea should really be fired. And they didn't bother to tell anyone until recently, to make things worse, which probably explains some of the instability observed with SAS3 in the beginning...

TXAG26

Patron
Ah, everything's fine then...

Whoever came up with this brilliant idea should really be fired. And they didn't bother to tell anyone until recently, to make things worse, which probably explains some of the instability observed with SAS3 in the beginning...

Agreed! Wish me luck, I'm importing an existing 8x WDC Red NAS ZFS pool onto the LSI 3008 tomorrow. I've held off using the onboard LSI 3008 for about a year and am hopeful that this firmware/driver has matured enough for go-live.

Status
Not open for further replies.