Supermicro Server Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMD

Cadet
I am in the process of piecing together a home server build. Thus far I purchased a Supermicro X11ssm-f motherboard and Xeon E3-1275v5 processor. Currently I am shopping for memory and I noticed that Supermicro sells memory that is compatible with my board. Has anybody used Supermicro brand memory or can anyone make a recommendation concerning Supermicro brand memory

note: the memory is ECC UDiMM 16GB sticks

If it's the same cost or cheaper than other recommended memory go for it. If not then get something that is on the recommended list or something that is known to be compatible and use it. Will there be any advantage to using their memory over something else that is supported.... doubtful. Two different branded sticks of memory that have the exact same specs will perform very similarly. Where you see differences is when the timing is tighter or one is faster.

For a server system speed isn't the name of the game and something that is the same speed with tighter timings will be the one you want to use. If you were building a gaming computer that overclocks you would want a memory that can be ran faster.

Reactions: GMD

GMD

Cadet
Good advice and understood. I have looked at memory delay time and how it relates to memory speed and latency. There is not a huge advantage in savings. We are talking maybe $20. What I am not sure of is whether the quality and reliability is similar to other products in the $200 range.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's just rebranded Micron, Crucial or Samsung. If you get the same part number that is on the QVL, all you'll miss is a Supermicro sticker.

Reactions: GMD
Status
Not open for further replies.