Supermicro SC826TQ-R800LPB with X10SL7-F

Status
Not open for further replies.

yonkoc

Explorer
Hello all,

and thank you in advance to all that would read and respond.

I am migrating my X10SL7-F with 11 2TB drives into the SC826TQ chassis. I used a Rosewill case but got tired of having to power down, open, pull drive, replace, etc... So, I've already purchased this chassis and I thought it was going to be a straightforward plug and play. Silly me. I appear to not understand the purpose of SGPIO (sideband) or I2C connectors.

On page 2-2 of the 826TQ manual it states that I2C is used "to monitor HDD activity and status". The next page says SGPIO is the default setting and that each of the 3 headers requires an 8 pin sideband cable. Further, on page 2-5, manual states you can have either SGPIO (default) or I2C mode.

My system has been working quite okay in the old case with 8 drives plugged into the LSI2308 (IT mode) and the other 3 drives into ports 0, 1, 2 of the 6 conventional SATA ports. No issues at all that way. Moving to the chassis with the backplane I need some serious help.
The X10SL-F has 4x headers, 2x T-SGPIO 1/2 and 2x 6-SGPIO 1/2. On page 2-28 of the manual it states that the T-SGPIO 1/2 supports onboard SATA interface and the 6-SGPIO supports onboard SAS interface.

So, my questions are:
1. What is the purpose of SGPIO?
1. Do I just use 3x 8-pin to 8-pin sideband cables CBL-0157L and connect the SGPIO headers from the backplane to two of the 6-SGPIO (for the 8 SAS drives) and one of the T-SGPIO headers (for the 3 remaining SATA drives)? Would that even work?
2. I assume I can't mix and match I2C and SGPIO as jumper JP84 on the 826TQ sets the backplane to either SGPIO or I2C. Would it make only 8 SAS port connected drives operate properly?
3. Do I need to connect those headers at all, what won't work?
4. Given the configuration I have (826TQ backplane + X10SL7-F mobo) what would be the best configuration?

Thank you! I assume that based on the answers I am provided more questions may arise.

Respectfully

Sakuru

Guru

yonkoc

Explorer
Thanks,

so... if SGPIO is part of the "murky and often arcane area of hardware design" I should simply plug the drives with the sata cables and pretend I2C and SGPIO do not exist. I can certainly try, this means I'd be relying on FreeNAS to notify me of issues, which it always has. Please confirm if otherwise.

Sakuru

Guru
Correct, you only need to hook the backplane to SAS/SATA and power, you don't need to worry about any other connectors.

yonkoc

Explorer
Thank you, Sakuru, I followed your advice and after verifying all connections I now have the system running in the Supermicro. Question, how will the chassis / Freenas handle hard drive increasing temps? Would the SMART data be enough to kick up the revs of the PWM fans? Oh btw, the lack of turbine noise is amazing. I can almost stick this in the middle of my office now :)

Stux

MVP
Run one of fan control scripts which monitors HD temps.

yonkoc

Explorer
Thanks, I've looked at quite a few forum threads, could you please tell me if this is the most recent script?

Stux

MVP
Thanks, I've looked at quite a few forum threads, could you please tell me if this is the most recent script?

Yes. That one monitors CPU temps as well and spins up the HD and/or CPU/exhaust fans depending.

Status
Not open for further replies.