Supermicro 743TQ-865B case SGPIO question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

denkun

Cadet
Hi,

I am currently trying to build new freenas server for home use.
This server will be use for:
  • File storage
  • Plex media server
  • Transmission
  • VirtualBox (Probably 1vm will be used sometime

I purchased below items and I should be receiving these items soon.
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230v5
Motherboard: Supermicro X11SSM-F
Ram : Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CPB 16GB DDR4-2133 ECC x 2

HDD: WD Red 3tb x 4 in RAID-Z2 (I already have 4. Probably get another 2 in near future)

I am planning to buy Supermicro 743TQ-865B and found out it only comes with one SGPIO cable.
I did some reading online but I am not 100% sure what SGPIO do.

X11SSM-F have two SGPIO socket on the board and Supermicro 743TQ-865B have two SGPIO socket on the backplane.
I am wondering if need to buy another SGPIO cable and plug into motherboard and backplane?

Dice

Wizard
(I already have 4. Probably get another 2 in near future)
Be sure to check out the newbie guide (slides by Cyberjock) to be on point with expectations regarding "upgrades down the line".
Just "adding 2 more drives later" is not necessarily easy.
You cannot expand a 4x drive raidz2 with 2 more drives to get a 6x drive raidz2.

Cheers /

Last edited:

denkun

Cadet
Be sure to check out the newbie guide (slides by Cyberjock) to be on point with expectations regarding "upgrades down the line".
Just "adding 2 more drives later" is not necessarily easy.
You cannot expand a 4x drive raidz2 with 2 more drives to get a 6x drive raidz2.

Cheers / Dice.

Thank you for pointing out. I will definitely ready the guide first before installing FreeNAS on it.

Cheers,

Dice

Wizard
Do so.
- Planning ahead is the only way to not end up sinking stupid amounts of cash into the project to 'overcome the hurdles'. (Been there, <doing that>)

Status
Not open for further replies.