SGPIO connector on LSI 9212-4i board?

averyfreeman

Contributor
Hey,

I've got two LSI HBAs that are basically the same, the 9212-4i (branded by HP) and the 9212-4i4e. I'm wondering if anyone knows if the little 4-pin connector on it is some kind of SGPIO? It says "hdd leds" in the manual.

I've used a SAS SFF-8087 -> SATA fan-out connector with sideband for SGPIO before, but these boards don't have SFF-8087 connectors, just SATA.

If it's not SGPIO, how do I use the 4-pin connector? Would like HDD activity on my backplane.

Running FreeNAS in VM on ESXi, X10SRW-F motherboard, backplane is SAS-825TQ. Would be using half backplane for board SATA (with SGPIO on motherboard) and trying to figure out how to rig up the other half with the VM.

Thanks!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It says "hdd leds" in the manual.
It is what is says it is. HDD LED, that is where you connect the wire if you want to run a light emitting diode (LED) to the front of the server to show disk activity.

averyfreeman

Contributor
It is what is says it is. HDD LED, that is where you connect the wire if you want to run a light emitting diode (LED) to the front of the server to show disk activity.

lol. How odd that it'd actually be what it says it is...

Do you know if an LSI board have any possibility of sideband/SGPIO if it doesn't have SFF-8087 connectors?