Supermicro - no video display from vga

pugnatore

Cadet
Hello,

I have a situation with my onboard video. I have a supermicro x11ssm-f-o MB. When installing and playing around with the console menu on initial install the display was fine and could see the boot and menu. Several times I utilized the vga port to interact with bios and the console menu. I installed a 10gbe intel nic card, went to use the onboard vga port and console menu. There is no video output from the mother board. None at all. Through IPMI I can see it boot, I can SSH or web interface to the freenas machine just fine and load the console menu through CLI. My problem is I'm not well versed in the networking side of things, learning as I go. I don't want to make a mistake and lose all access to the machine, I do not have a direct way to interact except through the network. FYI, the intel 10gbe card was identified fine and showed in the system. If I remove the card or leave it in makes no difference, the video is not displayed. This is not just a freenas issue as I get no post video for bios either.

I have checked all the board jumpers, all in correct position, nothing has changed from when I used it before. I have checked the monitor on another device, works fine. At this point I am wondering, should I buy a PCI card to use to access bios and console menu, anyone know a card that works plug and play? Just need a display, doesn't need anything but vga or hdmi, can be old and cheap. I cant think of any other options. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Redcoat

MVP
At this point I am wondering, should I buy a PCI card to use to access bios and console menu
These functions are what IPMI's "Remote Control" > "Console Redirection" provide for you over the network - should be no need to add a video card. The outstanding question seems to be the apparent failure of your VGA port - have you tried moving the 10G network card to other slots?

pugnatore

Cadet
Great I have never messed with that. I tried just now and Java is not my friend. I am looking at options to get the console redirect to open. I have tried to get the vga port to respond by removing the 10g card and different slots, none of those attempts worked. Not sure why the vga port failed, or when. I am sure that it is no longer functional though. I thought a cheap GPU might solve my issue. Thank you for the info on options in IPMI, I originally thought, all I get is this 3in square preview window, haha.

Redcoat

MVP
What is your client OS? Update its Java version for sure.

Redcoat

MVP
Don't use Java, X11 has iKVM/HTML5, use that one instead, it will open with any browser, you'll need to update the BMC firmware if not available.
Oh, yes - I'm not lucky enough to have a new SM board - my X9 is using the old Java host that requires a few hoops to be jumped through. I'd forgotten reading about the version @Johnnie Black described for you.

pugnatore

Cadet
This worked great now I'm not worried if I mess up the network settings for freenas, I can still change them. That being said, if I do ever need to interact directly, would a cheap GPU solve the problem? From what I have read, Freebsd doesn't support any video car?

Redcoat

MVP
Interact directly with what? You have IPMI and your network via the GUI address. What more do you want?

pugnatore

Cadet
If ipmi doesn't work one day, what I would want more than ipmi, is a way to interact with the system if my network is not working and there is no ipmi. Thats a whole lot of ifs, but I didnt expect my vga port to crap out on me either. Thanks for the previous help, I have a solution for now.

Redcoat

MVP
Ahh - I was taking that it was a given that you would address the failed VGA port.

You can always install a GPU if needed, coincidentally the first X11 board I ever bought was the same model and I got it with a large discount on ebay because the VGA output didn't work, it's been 3 or 4 years now and never needed it, always use IPMI.