Noob Question - Supermicro X11SSL-F & Video

bigman66

Cadet
Ok, Probably a stupid question - and I think I know the answer - but can't hurt to validate. Putting together a build to support TrueNas Scale for predominately storage- but also a few Docker containers (home assistant. NZBGet, Sonarr etc).

After much soul searching and research picked up a Supermicro X11SSL-F Motherboard with a Xeon E3-1275 v5 and 32Gb of EEC ram (after looking at consumer AMD boards and then the ASRock Rack X570D4U) - should be turning up soonish - just getting all the rest of the bits in order.

So i am trying to understand the video options for this board. I believe that I will not be able to leverage the inbuild GPU in the E3-1275 - but still have the ASPEED graphics which drives the IPMI but also VGA port??

So the question is - I can quite happily use this combination without an additional video card? Get standard POST display and basic display functionality via the ASPEED and VGA? Enough to get the system up and running, install truenas (Or ESXi for that matter) - just plug in a standard VGA monitor?

Obviously moving forward it would be located in the rack - so no monitor and just operating via IPMI.

Happy to put in a video card if necessary - but already have LSI card and planning for 10Gb Nic - so running out of space - and no point spending $$ if i don't need.