SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLL-F-O vs. SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLM-F-O

Which motherboard should I get?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Explorer
After my refurb P9D-M motherboard from Asus was DOA, I have found these two Supermicro boards.

Already have:
i3 4170
4x4TB WD red (raid z2)
16 GB Crucial UDIMM
550W Evga gold

1. SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLL-F-O
(2 Sata 3 and 4 SATA 2) C222

OR

2. SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLM
(4 SATA3 and 2 SATA2, USB 3 on I/O, c224)

I have the Intel i3 4170 (haswell refresh), hopefully these mobos come with BIOS 2.0 as I read that many users were having problems flashing the bios,etc.

What do you guys think? Is the second option (more expensive) any better in any other way than the first option?
if I want to use IMPI, will I have to purchase any special add-on to use the feature and what software do I need for these Supermicro IMPI featrues on my PC?

PS: I want to run iSpyConnect an IP camera program in a jail running windows. Is that possible? Will I have to assign one of my Ethernet outputs for that?

thanks for you help!

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Typically speaking, you literally won't notice a single difference with these boards. The only functional difference, I believe, is how many, and which, type of USB ports you're going to get. I build systems for people on both the SLL and SLM, whichever one is available that day. I consider them, for the purposes of a FreeNAS, more or less equal.

Most of the boards sold today, unless the inventory is 18 months old, will ship with 2.0 (or newer) BIOS. But it is a chance. If the 1.0 BIOS comes, then you have two choices:
1) Find someone with an original Haswell CPU that will let you borrow it,
2) Pay Supermicro their...$30? $20? fee for using their IPMI-based BIOS upgrade pathway.

Out of the box, the IPMI is fully functional in both boards. You typically access the IPMI from the web. No additional software or hardware is necessary in most cases.

CraigD

Patron
You must use a LGA1150 board with your CPU, be sure and check the QVL to see if your RAM will work with the X10 boards (it probably will)

If you at a later date want to add more drives the X10SL7-F board is on sale for US$199, only US$20 more than the X10SLM-F and is cheaper than buying an additional add in card later

I have no doubt the X10SLL-F and X10SLM-F are both great boards and if you are not going to use more than 6 drives go for the cheaper -F board (-F means IPMI)

Supermicro would not let me download the KVM software with a hotmail or gmail email address, Java iKVM viewer published by Supermicro is used (it is for the X10SL7-F and I assume all X10 boards)

Have Fun

Status
Not open for further replies.