sas2 vs sata MBD-X10SL7-F-O

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrath

Dabbler
Hi everyone. My first post here. I have been reading lots. I have 6 x WD40EFRX (wd red 4tb) in raidZ2 and my board SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O has 8x sas2 ports and 6 sata (2x sata3 and 4xsata2) ports. Should I use sas or sata to hook em up? I know for these drives 6gbps vs 3 gbps makes little difference except in case of ssds. I also read that I can flash the sas on my mobo to IT mode

Last edited:

Noctris

Contributor
I don't think it really matters. The sas controller is pretty well supported so that might have a bit of an advantage. What Case are you using ?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There's no reason not to start with the 6Gb/s ports, Intel or LSI. The difference is negligible and you'll never see it, in all likelihood - but so is the cost of using the 6Gb/s ports first.

wrath

Dabbler
I don't think it really matters. The sas controller is pretty well supported so that might have a bit of an advantage. What Case are you using ?

I got the fractal design r4, it was on sale. I will monitor the temps and see if I need more than 2 fans it comes with. I can hook up to 10 3.5"hdd + 2ssds(on the other side or just stick it somewhere with duct tape) in this case. For my needs I don't see need for more than 16tb (6x4tb in raidz2) in the near future.

Noctris

Contributor
Yeah.. i wouldn't do the duck tape thing.. you'll macgyver your way into an overheating SSD ;-)

I was mainly asking to see of it was one that had sas connectors in which case the onboard sas would make more sense.

wrath

Dabbler
Too bad we don't have liquid cooled duct tape.

I am a little concerned about ram I need. I know for 24 tb, 32gb of ram is recomended (8gb base + 1gb/tb or 24gb).
Can I start off with 16gb (8gbx2) ram and then add more another 8gbx2 if i need more?
I feel like 16gb might be fine to start out with and then upgreade to 32gb as my needs grow.

Noctris

Contributor
Sure. No worries. It also depends on what you plan on running and what performance you need/want. Jails you plan on setting up etc. I got about the same amount of storage ( multiple pools and vdev setups) and run it with 16gb in a vm wich funny enough seems to perform snappier then on thr bare metal with 32gb this is my home system and i run just about every jail including a custom freebsd with mysql. I easily saturate both gb nics ( one cifs, 1 iscsi)

Sent from my portable microwave

wrath

Dabbler
To flash sas into IT mode, I got V16 firmware to match V16 drivers on freenas 9.3 (even though V19 driver for bsd seems to be available on ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/driver/SAS/LSI/2308/ ). firmware v16 direct link: ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/driver/SAS/LSI/2308/Firmware/IT/Previous%20Releases/PH16.0.1-IT.zip

I also got IPMIView utility installed. Can I flash new sas controller firmware in IPMI? I also got IPMI firmware and bios update. I hope I can update these as well. I feel like I can plug in USB with firmware files and just flash it in bios but I don't think the bios is uefi(or has ability to update via uefi bios)
Edit:
I can just plug in the monitor and flash the old fashioned way in dos boot USB.

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I always flash via IPMI. Totally safe and works fine. :)

Just don't try to do flashing over wifi or something. That could have problems if the connection flakes out for a second. ;)

wrath

Dabbler
I always flash via IPMI. Totally safe and works fine. :)

Just don't try to do flashing over wifi or something. That could have problems if the connection flakes out for a second. ;)

Thanks. It worked. I also updated IPMI firmware with web-gui. For bios update to v3 (from v2) I would need a serial number in web gui. I am guessing that is not free. I can get dos bootable but not sure how well it will work in IPMI.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

wrath

Dabbler
So its stuck on:
Code:
ME Entire Image update success!!
"Warning: system must power-off  to have the changes take effect"
_

should I reboot or wait for it to say C:\> again?

edit:
i rebooted anyway i thought it was going to be bricked as it kept initalizing system and rebooting 4 times but then it worked!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.