Supermicro mbd-x9scm-f-o

Status
Not open for further replies.

murphys_law

Dabbler
I used hirens to do a prime 95 test for about 3 hours and then ran memtest 86 from a USB for 12 hours. Same mobo as yours everything tested good so now I'm waiting for a good deal in 4 TB he's to pop up.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Hugo Ochoa

Dabbler
Is it ok to install only one drive for testing on a SuperMicro SuperChassis 826E1-R800LPB? The manual says not to run the server without all the hard drives installed so I'm wondering if there could be problems just running it with only one drive at first. I'm worried about installing $2300 worth of drives all at once.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Check again and it probably says without the TRAYS or slot blanks, not drives. You need the airflow to be correct. The slot blanks take care of that.

Hugo Ochoa

Dabbler
Here's what it says: "Warning: Except for short periods of time (swapping hard drives), do not operate the server with the hard drives empty." I'm asking becasue I had a situation when I only installed one drive in a Rosewill case and the PCB on the drive burned immediatelly upon turning on the server. I don't want that to happen again. The manual seems to imply that all the hard drives need to be installed. Would it be ok just installing one drive for testing?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Here's what it says: "Warning: Except for short periods of time (swapping hard drives), do not operate the server with the hard drives empty." I'm asking becasue I had a situation when I only installed one drive in a Rosewill case and the PCB on the drive burned immediatelly upon turning on the server. I don't want that to happen again. The manual seems to imply that all the hard drives need to be installed. Would it be ok just installing one drive for testing?

I read that as "keep the trays in their bays, except for very short periods", but it could use some more specific terminology.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It means leave the trays and spacers in when running. It messes with the static pressure in the case and therefore the drive cooling if you don't. You're fine to install a single drive as long as the other 11 trays/spacers are in place. If you're still worried, verify with SuperMicro support.

Status
Not open for further replies.