Supermicro install issues

Romek

Cadet
Hi there,

I'm new here but have had a couple of successful TrueNAS installs thanks to this great forum. I have limited experience though, so thanks for your patience!
I've been recycling old NAS units for use as long term storage, this latest one though is causing me issues. The unit was working well before I started, (running euronas).
My usual install USB didn't work, so after a lot of searching I tried a few things;
  1. Tried Balena Etcher instead of Rufus, on numerous usb sticks (sizes, usb2 / 3 etc)
  2. Changed the USB legacy settings in the bios to auto
  3. Tried a different keyboard
  4. Put the installer on a sata drive and tried install it using internal sata power /port.
  5. Switched the ACHI setting in BIOS to IDE (as I was getting a sata multiplier not supported error)
After much messing about have managed to install it and it runs (but with the disks disconnected).

I can’t connect any drives internally and reboot, it just hangs. If I try to reinstall with the drives connected it also hangs with this error

sb_dev_suspend_peer: Setting device remote wakeup failed

I am using the onboard sata connections, no controller card. Any help would be seriously appreciated! Thanks in advance...

My specs
TrueNAS-12.0-U2.1
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1226 v3 @ 3.30GHz
7.8GB RAM
Supermicro X10SLV-Q
64GB m550 msata ssd
3xHGST 6Gb/s 8TB Hitachi Ultrastar He8 0F23267 / HUH280ALE600 8TB SATA HDD

Romek

Cadet
An update. I booted up with no disks connected. Then after boot, I connected a drive and it shows up under disks in the UI and allowed me to wipe it, even add it to a pool. However on reboot, it hangs on the sb_dev_suspend_peer: Setting device remote wakeup failed error again.
I tried a fresh install with the disk installed and I get the same error. Any ideas?

ddaenen1

Patron
Sounds to me that your install went south from the beginning. If your HDD's are all detected in the BIOS, this shouldn't happen. Is that the case and if so, what mode have you selected for SATA in the BIOS? I do know that when using Rufus, i also had some issues when selecting the UEFI boot option as my Supermicro mobo wouldn't always detect the USB Drive so i always choose DD image, which never gave me any trouble.

Romek

Cadet
Thanks for your reply. The initial problem was Rufus and USB related, which is now sorted, I read (and tried) as much as I could, i think it was using Balena Etcher and the legacy settings that fixed it in the end. The next issue was with the disk management, it just refused to boot after install (Sata is set to IDE btw.) I have since had some success in that I managed to install all of the drives by connecting them and formatting in TrueNAS after the boot. I then did a fresh install which succeeded. However it takes an age to boot - (about an hour). Works ok when finally running. I think in hindsight this could have been the problem earlier I didn't realise- just a really, really long boot up. Not sure how to copy the logs but I took a pic where it hangs on boot, in case there's something I can try to speed it up. Cheers!

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    474.7 KB · Views: 193

ddaenen1

Patron
Thanks for your reply. The initial problem was Rufus and USB related, which is now sorted, I read (and tried) as much as I could, i think it was using Balena Etcher and the legacy settings that fixed it in the end. The next issue was with the disk management, it just refused to boot after install (Sata is set to IDE btw.) I have since had some success in that I managed to install all of the drives by connecting them and formatting in TrueNAS after the boot. I then did a fresh install which succeeded. However it takes an age to boot - (about an hour). Works ok when finally running. I think in hindsight this could have been the problem earlier I didn't realise- just a really, really long boot up. Not sure how to copy the logs but I took a pic where it hangs on boot, in case there's something I can try to speed it up. Cheers!
An hour to boot is extreme. My boot time would be 5-10 mins at best on an older config than your own. I do feel your RAM is on the low side but not sure this might contribute. With TrueNAS, more RAM is better. Have you tried to install TrueNAS from one USB on another USB stick (for trial purposes ofcourse) instead of the mSATA SSD just to see if there is any difference in behavior?

Another thing to check are any power saving settings in the BIOS related to the HDD's.

Romek

Cadet
A quick update, I think I have failing hardware. I tried a new SSD - no better performance. When I reverted back to msata it was fine (still slow to boot) until a couple of unexpected crashes which took out the wifi in the house as well!

New troubles include not seeing the msata drive in the bios boot order (even though it's there if I select in manually from the f11 boot screen). Disk temperature errors (a new one), and loosing the household internet and UI access i mentioned earlier, (to this and other TrueNAS disks).

My other TrueNas units were so easy to install and have been so reliable. I think I overlooked the obvious that it's old kit that has worked hard. It's likely the motherboard and/or CPU.. Thanks for your support