Supermicro - Fresh installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfkarlson

Cadet
Hello Community.
Our company bought new server Supermicro with two enclosures (1 and 2). We are using controller LSI 9300 (firmare SAS9300_4i4e_IT)
we have 6 HDD and 6 SSD in enclosure 1 and 12 HDD in enclosure 2.
The problem is - FreeNAS can't see disks from BAY 0 from both enclosures. We can use only 5 SSD and 17 HDD. This is really annoying. If we change SSD from bay0 to HDD then we have 6 SSD and 16 HDD, still only 22 storage devices.
We can't see bay0 disks from freenas 10.0 and 11.0 installer, and after installation too.
geom disk list shows only 22 storage devices.
Dunno how to fix that, any suggestions?

Attachments

• boot.PNG
    boot.PNG
    59.9 KB · Views: 285
  • storage.PNG
    storage.PNG
    80.9 KB · Views: 291

joeschmuck

Old Man
What version of FreeNAS are you using?

EDIT: This looks like Coral and if you are a company then you are using unsupported and bug ridden software. Realize that there is not upgrade path from Coral to FreeNAS 11 so before you build this up you should start with FreeNAS 11.0-U4.

Once you have the proper software installed then see what is going on. If you still have a problem post the full output of dmesg .

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Building a FreeNAS based storage solution for dummies.
Chapter 1: buy from iX systems

;)

Seriously: have you contacted your supplier, already? They should know what's special about that single bay. Possibly the backplane can be re-wired?

Patrick

cfkarlson

Cadet
Thank you for your reply!
As i noted before, if i run installer FreeNAS 11.0-U4 i see only 22 disks in installer. It doesn't make sense to install it. We got absolutly same situation.
We are already using version 10 Corral on our old server, it is stable and doesn't have any problems for 4 months.
Dmesg output in attached file.

Attachments

• dmesg output.txt
    5.4 KB · Views: 329

joeschmuck

Old Man
The dmesg seems a bit short. It's missing a lot of data. This should contain all the data from the last bootstrap but it doesn't. I'm not sure if this is an issue with Corral or maybe you didn't capture it all?

So this does look like a hardware issue and I would examine the cableing to the drive bays. As @Patrick M. Hausen said, you may need to contact the supplier or maybe Supermicro to solve this problem. Have you referenced the hardware user guide?

cfkarlson

Cadet
Thank you for your reply!
I can see all 24 disks from Avago configuration utility. I can make RAIDs successful with all 24 disks, the problem only when i'm trying to install or use installed FreeNAS.
Current version is FreeNAS-Corral-10.0.5

I checked serials of all HDDs and SSDs, the problem only with BAY-0 devices.
Tryed to format that disks, tryed to reset BIOS settings, tryed few different firmwares for LSI controller. No changes.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I can see all 24 disks from Avago configuration utility. I can make RAIDs successful with all 24 disks
That is valuable information but I'm not sure how to use it yet. I'm not a RAID Card expert at all but how can you make a RAID with IT software?

I'm grasping at straws here but what happens if you remove all the drives not in BAY 0, are no drives detected by FreeNAS? And what if you move all the hard drives form BAY 0 to a different bay? Does that failure remain with BAY 0 or does it follow the drives to another bay?

Something else to try, bootstrap a FreeBSD Live DVD and see if all the drives are detected, if not then bootstrap Ubuntu Live CD and see if all the drives are detected. If the FreeBSD Live DVD fails to see all the drives and Ubuntu does see them then it's a FreeBSD issue, search the FreeBSD forums and file a bug report. If FreeBSD recognizes all the drives then it's a FreeNAS issue, file a bug report. If neither recognize the drives then maybe it's the RAID card firmware.

That is all I can think of right now.

cfkarlson

Cadet
Hello and thank you for your reply.
That is valuable information but I'm not sure how to use it yet. I'm not a RAID Card expert at all but how can you make a RAID with IT software?
I tryed both IT and IR firmwares.

Ok, new info:
1. I removed all disks except bay-0
2. I tried to install FreeBSD 11. Installer can see both disks.
3. Standalone FreeBSD works fine with all 24 disks.

How can i make bug report?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    72.5 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
How can i make bug error?
At the top of the Forums page is a link called "Report a Bug". I'm glad you isolated the problem to the software.

Status
Not open for further replies.