Supermicro Fan Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemyZ

Contributor
Have the Supermicro X11SSH-F Motherboard along with Supermicro 825TQ case.
On bootup the fans spin up as normal and hum along.When getting past the bios the CPU, Case fans continously spin to full and then idle speed for the fans and this variation is 6-8 seconds in between.
I have tried changing the settings on IPMI to normal fan speed but nothing. I am using 4 pin fans throughout. Before it gets past bios (When Crossflashing LSi 9211 Card or loading into usb stick ) it is normal and hums along. Only when getting past bios it continuously spins up and down. The sensor readings on IPMI seem normal and are listed below. The Front panel is continuously blinking red for a overheating issue. Off the top I dont know if there is a separate connection that needs to be made on the Backplane to talk to the motherboard Let me know if I overlooked something My only assumption is the HDD's are cooking up or I missed a separate connection to the motherboard.

Status
sort.gif
Reading
sort.gif

CPU Temp Normal 46 degrees C
PCH Temp Normal 29 degrees C
System Temp Normal 24 degrees C
Peripheral Temp Normal 32 degrees C
VcpuVRM Temp Normal 38 degrees C

Last edited:

RemyZ

Contributor
The Temp sensors kick on after post bootup which is why I didn't notice the issue in bios
I am tempted to use 3 pin fans to kill the fan speed control. Any thoughts in regards to this ?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

RemyZ

Contributor
I have read the thread but cant seem to get ipmiutil working. Is this something that needs to be loaded via a usb bootable drive or running on a client (Windows & Mac ) to excersize commands ??

RemyZ

Contributor
I dont have Freenas installed yet since I am running into another issue with the usb stick possibly due to UEFI. I just need a method to use IPMI to lower the thresholds if possible

RemyZ

Contributor

mjt5282

Contributor
as the ipmitool thread states several times, the new fan / IPMI settings are not taken into effect until you completely powerdown (and to double check I pulled the power cords out for a minute or so ).

RemyZ

Contributor
i powercycled and unplugged the powercable for a short period will try again for a longer time.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

RemyZ

Contributor
Thanks for your help. Appreciate it. I unplugged the power cable for only a few seconds and that didnt register but came home and left it unplugged for a few minutes and low behold all is well now.

mjt5282

Contributor
you probably have more efficient fans than the standard SM fans, and they are blowing slower than expected. you have to use ipmitool to update the expected rpms, (helps to see what alerts have been posted), then completely power cycle the server again.

Status
Not open for further replies.