Supermicro A2SDi-2C-HLN4F recommended 16GB unbuffered ECC-RAM

baniero

Dabbler
Hi everyone!

I want to build a FreeNAS for home usage with the Supermicro A2SDi-2C-HLN4F motherboard as a base. While I know quite a lot about software, I am new to building servers and therefore wanted to make sure that I am doing things right.

My question is seemingly trivial: I want to find out, which RAM would be recommended for this setup. Using various sources I could narrow my choices down to a 16GB unbuffered ECC-Ram. Unfortunately I am having trouble to find a good one to buy.

Research done so far:
I checked in the forum but could not find a recommendation. The official tested memory list for this board is outdated and therefore is no help. Same with the crucial RAM website: It does not list any compatible RAM, only SSDs. Kingston suggests the KSM24ED8/16ME. I read the hardware recommendation documents from this post but this didn't help me either.

Does anyone have tips where I can find further information or has a suggestion what to buy?

Thanks!

What you could do it take the Supermicro models listed and try eBay...

The memory may be EOL but you can still buy off ebay, therefor you can still refer to the listed modules on the Supermicro site.
i.e. this one:

1588679727294.png

baniero

Dabbler
Thank you everyone for your input! I was about to order RAM on ebay following your advice but then decided to get another motherboard after all.