BUILD SUPERMICRO 2U Chassis Build: Opinions Welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlau3450

Dabbler
Hello all, I've been a long time lurker here and finally decided to post as I update my freenas hardware to server grade stuff. I'm a complete noob at FreeBSD, and hence the info here on these boards have been simply invaluable.

I'd like your opinions on my new build:

SUPERMICRO CSE-822T-400LPB 2U Case w/400 PSU (PLUS) ----> official data
Xeon E3-1230 V2
SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL-F-O Motherboard
2 x Kingston KVR16E11/8 8GB DDR3-1600 ECC CL11 DIMM W/TS Memory (16GB RAM)
6 x 4TB WD RED

I hope to migrate my current 16TB zpool ( RAIDZ2) over to this new hardware.
Here are some concerns of mine:

1. I'd like a GOLD rated PSU, but this 2U case and PSU combo is economically attractive. Reviews seem fairly positive. Energy consumption I can deal with, but a bigger concern of mine is reliability as it's not a redundant PSU. Are PLUS rated PSUs any less reliable than a more expensive GOLD rated one? SUPERMICRO stuff seems to be known for quality. Are their PSUs generally trustworthy?

2. This 2U case has a depth of 650mm. Does anyone have any good coffee table+ sized cabinets to recommend? I'd love to stuff this build in the basement somewhere, but as it is extremely damp down there, this will probably be located in the corner of a living room guest room as I anticipate server fans will be extremely loud. Importantly, aesthetics of the cabinet would be of a concern.

3. Regarding migration of FreeNAS 9.2.0 to new hardware, do I simply unplug the USB drive + my HDDs and replug them (in the same order) onto the new machine? Are there any precautions/preparatory steps I could take? Are there migration guides that I should consult?

Any thoughts/concerns would be highly welcomed. This is my first rackmount build and all help is appreciated!

KTrain

Dabbler
Greetings jlau! Here's some feedback to consider...

- Tripp Lite makes a really nice entry/mid level cabinet. StarTech has some really cheap stuff that will get the job done if you just want to keep it off the floor. Those are two good options for a new cabinet. If you're willing to consider a used cabinet I'd look around on CraigsList (if available in your area). Depending on where you live there are some great buys available. I picked up a 42U Liebert cabinet for $150.00 that's been fantastic!

- I'd consider a dehumidifier if it's THAT damp. You should also put your new hardware on a UPS to keep it protected.

- Maybe think about bumping up your memory. 16GB seems a bit low for the volume size you're building.

Status
Not open for further replies.