Suggestions for handling errors after resilver

nasjazz

Cadet
I replaced one drive in a 2 drive mirror and resilvered the mirror. The system is now reporting there are permanent errors
in one specific file. The file isn't too important, but I restored it from another copy anyway. But zpool status is still reporting
permanent errors on that file. The help at http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-8A indicates it may or may not be possible to
clear the status of this error depending on whether the error is in in file data, or metadata.

I'd like to have some confidence everything is ok(even if the one files is lost) and that there isn't some other problem waiting to go south
when the wrong thing happens down the road.

Any suggestions for cleaning up and confirming that health of the zpool in question?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
It's possible (but you haven't shared the path of the file, so can't know for sure) that the file that's corrupt is part of a snapshot rather than the live filesystem...

Replacing the file in the live filesystem won't remove the bad copy from the snapshot until the snapshot is removed or expires (and is automatically removed).

Just one possible answer.

You should review the file itself if you can to see if the live copy seems right.

nasjazz

Cadet
Thanks for the reply. I read back the file that i copied in and it matches, so freenas is serving the file back without problems.

The error message from zpool status is:

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

/mnt/Primary/Backup/nov/backup.tar

where the following are configured in freenas
pool = "Primary"
dataset = "Backup"

and the rest of the path is what I created on the share from a remote machine.

So that doesn't appear to be a snapshot, right?

sretalla