SOLVED Stuck setting up IP manually

Status
Not open for further replies.

davydden

Dabbler
I am new to FreeNAS, just installed the latest 11 on my box (ASRock E3C236D2I, full specs are in the signature) and have some issues with IP. This is a home network with some local rebranded (?) router (Fritz!box) from O2 Germany.

I can connect to the server via IMPI (that's how I installed FreeNAS), it picks up IP from DHCP without issues.
But when I start FreeNAS, it does not pick up IP from DHCP. In the manual IP setup i have a choice of two interfaces: em0 and igb0. Currently the only network cable connected to the box is via the dedicated IPMI LAN port. I tried to figure out which interface to use by looking at the output of ifconfig from terminal, but I don't see a matching MAC address there in "either/hwaddr" fields as compared to the one listed in BIOS BMC Network Configuration section. The addresses are different in the last 3 pairs of letters+numbers. I am a bit puzzled. lspci shows two ethernet controllers (as expected): Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM (rev 31) and Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03).

I would appreciate any advices and help in configuring network for a home FreeNAS.

Last edited:
If you read the motherboard manual it says that one port is dedicated to IPMI, connect a second cable to the motherboard and DHCP should work on that interface as well. page 11 says LAN1 is the port in the middle.

davydden

Dabbler
If you read the motherboard manual it says that one port is dedicated to IPMI, connect a second cable to the motherboard and DHCP should work on that interface as well. page 11 says LAN1 is the port in the middle.

Thanks for the advice, I will give it a try...

p.s. I did read the manual, but since I am new to server motherboards I was not aware that you can't use the same port.

some boards share a port like my supermicro X7 did when I first purchased it and some don't like my X8

davydden

Dabbler
I did that but still no luck with Network configuration...

using the IPMI can you reset EM0 and say yes to DHCP FreeNAS guide

Last edited by a moderator:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
When you plug in the cable what is the output of ifconfig?

davydden

Dabbler
using the IPMI can you reset EM0 and say yes to DHCP freenas guide

did not help, i chose `em0` and then Delete[no], Reset[n], DHCP[y], Name[], IPv6[n].

When you plug in the cable what is the output of ifconfig?

ifconfig shows three interfaces: igb0, em0 and lo0. Looks like I am plugged in igb0 as it shows status=active and media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>), whereas em0 has "no carrier" status.

Will try with igb0 now...

davydden

Dabbler
ok, finally can see FreeNAS web GUI. I had enter manually IP (chose the one with 100 at the end and /24 mask). Thanks for the help!

p.s. feel free to mark the topic as resolved.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Well fixed for now. You still have something wrong on your network because DHCP should work. But most people have networks that hardly work so I guess this might be ok.

skyyxy

Contributor
I am new to FreeNAS, just installed the latest 11 on my box (ASRock E3C236D2I, full specs are in the signature) and have some issues with IP. This is a home network with some local rebranded (?) router (Fritz!box) from O2 Germany.

I can connect to the server via IMPI (that's how I installed FreeNAS), it picks up IP from DHCP without issues.
But when I start FreeNAS, it does not pick up IP from DHCP. In the manual IP setup i have a choice of two interfaces: em0 and igb0. Currently the only network cable connected to the box is via the dedicated IPMI LAN port. I tried to figure out which interface to use by looking at the output of ifconfig from terminal, but I don't see a matching MAC address there in "either/hwaddr" fields as compared to the one listed in BIOS BMC Network Configuration section. The addresses are different in the last 3 pairs of letters+numbers. I am a bit puzzled. lspci shows two ethernet controllers (as expected): Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM (rev 31) and Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03).

I would appreciate any advices and help in configuring network for a home FreeNAS.

Looking almost same issue like my FNS-BOX.
I build the new FNS-BOX with e3-1230v2/intel 1200BTL(1200BTL has dual 1Gb network ports and called em0 and em1 in FreeNAS system)/32GB ECC DDR3/Intel X520 DA2/LSI9200-8I.
When install FreeNAS 11.0U4 or lastest stable 11.1 and DHCP network method are working fine. But not working when I manually the IPs(both of em0 and 1).
When I clean install the old FNS version(9.10.2 u6) everthing is working good.
Anybody can help ? Or just the new bug in new Freenas? Thanks advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.