Stuck in old FreeNAS system and want to move to TrueNAS core

TomCat0701

Cadet
Hello, looking for advice please... I am stuck back at Freenas 11.0-U4. I backup data files to external hard disks on a regular basis. In order to migrate to Truenas 12, 13 or 14 core would it simply be better to wipe everything on my old FreeNAS system and install TrueNAS from scratch and then load the data files from my backups into the new system?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Being that far behind I'd recommend a clean installation as far as configuration is concerned, but - as long as you did not setup encryption - there is hardly a need to wipe the data and reimport from backup. After installation just import your existing pool. Delay upgrading the pool until you are sure the new software is stable. Recreate all your shares and possibly other configuration in the UI.

HTH,
Patrick

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Hi Tom,

As @Patrick M. Hausen mentions you do not need to erase the contents of your data disks, but you are quite a few builds behind from the current version, so a clean installation and importing your pool may be the preferred option if your configuration is relatively straightforward.

I'd suggest backing up your configuration and installing a new version onto a new boot device - remove and preserve your existing one in case you need an easy way to revert back.