How to move/change boot-pool and system-dataset?

ststrong

Cadet
New user here.

I have TrueNAS core 13 installed on an old PC i5-7400 16GB Ram.

I installed it using a single 240GB SSD(boot) and a single old 500GB SATA HDD for the system dataset (this was to play around with it while waiting for my SAS controller.

Current:
Boot: single 240GB SSD
system-pool: single 500GB HDD (has the jails = plex, nextcloud)
Main-dataset: 4x4TB HGST SAS HDD in RaidZ1 (controler and 1 cable arrived and I could not resist configuring it and loading data on it :smile:

Desired Target:
Boot: 2x120GB SSD mirror
system-pool: 2x240GB SSD mirror
Main-pool: 8x4TB HDD (organized as 2 vdevs each 4X4TB RaidZ1)

I am looking for the best (or least painful or safest) recommendation on how to get from A to B...

I should have no issue expanding my main-pool from 1 4drive vdev to 2 4drive vdevs (I have the drives - just waiting on the SAS cable)

I would like to avoid blowing everything away and reinstalling (but if this is the best then i would consider). I have loaded ~5TB of data onto the current Main-pool so keeping this pool intact is a requirement. (since I am new - I have no experience with importing zfs, etc...) I will be deleting nextcould and reinstalling it pointing to the main-poolf or data directory (today it is pointing to the 500G system dataset since this was all I had when I was 'playing'. I would entertain trying to move the data directory but all procedures I have found seem relatively involved (I have no data in nextcloud but I have all the 'stuff' configured like 2FA, email, etc...)

last piece of info - the MB (asus K31CD-K) only has 4 sata ports of which I am using 2 today (boot SSD and 500GB HDD) my final config has all 4 used (2xSSD boot and 2xSSD system-pool)

Is there an easy way to get there? e.g. somehow make my 500GB HDD look like 240 - then mirror it, then remove the HDD and replace with a 240 and voila - I have system dataset on 2x240GB SSD (seems like wishful thinking...). Same goes for the boot drive - suggestions? Maybe duplicate the SSD onto the 120GB and swap them and hope it boots :smile:

Lastly - I am open to all suggestions - I just read a post where someone was discussing booting from a USB attached SSD. this would save me a sata ports but how would I mirror it? (Or would I simply take snapshots daily of whatever is important and store it somewhere???)

any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks
Steve