Storage Spaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adaptation

Dabbler
Whelp I have been living under a rock for the past two years. Just found out about storage spaces... It has pretty much everything I wanted, even things freenas would not do without hacking like being able to make a non parity drive with space that would have been wasted due to capacity mismatch, additionally the parity and mirror level of a folder or file can be set independently of the volume if you want.

Your samba implantation is also quite tedious to implement for a network with more than a handful of users due to the lack of radius integration, I was already iscsi-ing to my windows box to manage the shares anyhow, may as well just cut that step out. MS also does allot of intelligent things with ssd's that I really like, and from what I have gathered from zfs literature and what MS clams it should be quite a bit less prone to having the pool shatter. Despite the sleek interface and being a black box, the box has a lid you can open and poke around pretty deep with power shell. Learned allot getting my freenas box setup but on Tuesday it will be my Windows Server 2012 R2 box. BTW just incase someone gets the wrong impression, windows 8 will do all this too, don't even need a server os.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Whelp I have been living under a rock for the past two years. Just found out about storage spaces... It has pretty much everything I wanted, even things freenas would not do without hacking like being able to make a non parity drive with space that would have been wasted due to capacity mismatch, additionally the parity and mirror level of a folder or file can be set independently of the volume if you want.

Your samba implantation is also quite tedious to implement for a network with more than a handful of users due to the lack of radius integration, I was already iscsi-ing to my windows box to manage the shares anyhow, may as well just cut that step out. MS also does allot of intelligent things with ssd's that I really like, and from what I have gathered from zfs literature and what MS clams it should be quite a bit less prone to having the pool shatter. Despite the sleek interface and being a black box, the box has a lid you can open and poke around pretty deep with power shell. Learned allot getting my freenas box setup but on Tuesday it will be my Windows Server 2012 R2 box. BTW just incase someone gets the wrong impression, windows 8 will do all this too, don't even need a server os.

If it works as well as Drive Extender, which worked so badly it was pulled from WHS 2011 pre-release, you're in for a nasty surprise if you're not careful about sticking to the right path... Just like ZFS is picky about what can be done. The difference is that ZFS is basically proven and Storage Spaces aren't.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Storage spaces is a joke.

It's exactly like Ericloewe said. ZFS is proven, Storage Spaces isn't. Oh, and if you talk to all of my friends that have had the misfortune of using Storage Spaces, they moved to it, then moved away from it very quickly and never looked back.

diehard

Contributor
Storage spaces in Windows 8 and 2012 is garbage. 2012 R2 has taken a decent step forward to it being usable, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.