Questions from a user moving from windows storage spaces

pomtom44

Cadet
Hi all
I currently run a windows storage spaces server as my NAS, but want to try get away from windows and use something which is "proper"
Alot of people have pointed me to truenas / freenas so im checking it out

What im having a hard time understanding and finding info on is different disks
In my windows machine, I have a large mix of different disks (budget build so I get what I can get) and storage spaces just lets me put any old disk in and add it to the pool
And when a disk fails, i just get a new larger one and replace it with that, so slowly adding more space to my pools

Reading up about truenas online, i have a mix of info about what you can and can't do with disks and matching

Am I able to add any disk I want to the pool, or do they have to be matching
Also when changing out a disk, can I replace a disk with a larger one to get more storage in the pool? or does it have to be matching as well?

my second question is around the share side of things
in storage spaces, you create a virtual drive, and it just uses the entire disk pool (or you can split it up if you want)
So say I have 10tb of disk storage, I can allocate 5tb to one virtual disk, 2 to another and 3 to the last, and it will just spread over all the physical hard drives as it needs to

Is there a way to do something similar in truenas, or do I have to have a share per pool of disks?

Also, is it possible to have both iscsi mapping and NFS/SMB to the same share?
I have a few different applications which access my current shares in different ways so want to make sure I can keep that going

And finally, expanding storage via a direct attach storage SAN
I have my eyes on a decent sized san in a local auction site
Can I add this as a drive pool to truenas?
(Does it support iscsi storage as pool storage)

Thanks in advance, and sorry if the answers are easily found, just having a hard time finding what I need

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
but want to try ...[to]... use something which is "proper"
I have a large mix of different disks (budget build so I get what I can get) and storage spaces just lets me put any old disk in and add it to the pool
You'll need to think about this if you want to use ZFS... those 2 things aren't really compatible.

Am I able to add any disk I want to the pool, or do they have to be matching
Depends on the pool type.

For a striped pool (no redundancy), you can do that. Any single disk failure renders the entire pool unrecoverable, so you probably don't want to do that (unless you enjoy losing your data).

For a pool of mirrored VDEVs, you can add additional mirrors (2 disks at a time) and retain single drive failure protection.

For RAIDZ VDEVs (pools containing one or more of those), you can't currently add individual disks... search the forum for RAIDZ expansion and you'll see that it's coming, but we don't really know when.

For mirrors and RAIDZ, you will only get the equivalent of the smallest member disk from all disks unless or until you change all disks to be the same (larger) size (autoexpand will sort that out when the time is right).

Also when changing out a disk, can I replace a disk with a larger one to get more storage in the pool? or does it have to be matching as well?
As above, doesn't have to match, but you will only get the matching size from it until all disks are the same larger size.

my second question is around the share side of things
in storage spaces, you create a virtual drive, and it just uses the entire disk pool (or you can split it up if you want)
So say I have 10tb of disk storage, I can allocate 5tb to one virtual disk, 2 to another and 3 to the last, and it will just spread over all the physical hard drives as it needs to

Is there a way to do something similar in truenas, or do I have to have a share per pool of disks?
Depending on the use for that, you're talking about a dataset or a ZVOL in ZFS language. Yes, those concepts exist and work as you describe (although you don't have to allocate unless you specifically want to limit one or all of the datasets/ZVOLs).

Also, is it possible to have both iscsi mapping and NFS/SMB to the same share?
I have a few different applications which access my current shares in different ways so want to make sure I can keep that going
Possible but not advised... maybe referring to the point above, you can share one dataset with SMB, another with NFS and a zvol with iSCSI from the same pool and that's perfectly acceptable.

And finally, expanding storage via a direct attach storage SAN
I have my eyes on a decent sized san in a local auction site
Can I add this as a drive pool to truenas?
(Does it support iscsi storage as pool storage)
That's really only an enterprise feature, but some folks have done it with CORE... it kind-of defeats the point as TrueNAS would be your SAN in the first place. Adding direct attached storage in an external SAS enclosure is the best option (disk shelf products are probably cheaper to get second hand anyway).

pomtom44

Cadet
Thanks for the useful info post

Iv done some more reading and watched a few youtube videos and got my head around pools and vdev
My understanding is I can use the same disks in a vdev, and then link them together in the pool, so long as I have enough redundancy in the vdev
EG 4x 2tb and 6x 4tb drives in 2vdevs, then combine them into a single pool

Then share that pool back out into network shares

So as long as I build my vdevs using teh same size disk I should be ok?
(Which might mean selling a few smaller drives and getting a more consistant spread

for the sharing question, the reason I do this is I have different services mapping the drives differently
EG I have a home file share, which is run via nextcloud using SMB sharing, but for backups my backup server accesses the share via iscsi
So same data on the file server, but different ways of accessing it

I guess for both of these questions I can just make a temporary server on a VM and just try for myself, see what happens

And the final question was wrong, my fault for getting confused while writing it
It was a DAS not SAN, so does truenas support that in a easy to use way?

sretalla