storage guide need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

warfreak

Cadet
hi need some help, im a newbie on freenas, currently i have setup raidz1 3x500gb hdd, (almost full) and now i want to upgrade the disk to 3x2tb same setup raidz1, any suggestion how to migrate my files on the new disk? btw my system has 4 sata port only already occupied the 3 sata port with 3x500gb hdd, i have 1 sata port available.

m0nkey_

MVP
OK, to do this you will have to replace one drive at a time and wait for the re-silver to complete before moving onto the next disk.

First, check that the autoexpand property is set on your pool, zpool get autoexpand <poolname> and it should return on. If it is off, switch it on by running zpool set autoexpand=on <poolname> and verify with the previous command.

Once you have confirmed that the autoexpand property is on, you can then start to replace drives. The procedure is the same as replacing a failed drive (http://doc.freenas.org/11/storage.html#replacing-a-failed-drive) Since you have a spare SATA port, I suggest using it while running the replace. Install the new drive and replace the disk using the failed disk procedure as it reduces the risk of drive failure while re-silvering.

Once all three drives have been replace, the pool will automatically grow to the new size.

Status
Not open for further replies.