Storage Access from DVR

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkimrey

Cadet
Sorry for the basic question - I'm new to FreeNAS.

I have a camera system that records to a DVR.

The software allows specifying a NAS storage location for storage video.

I have installed FreeNAS on a computer and I set up a volume for storage.

The DVR software finds the storage location but continues to show the status of the storage as 'offline'.

My DVR software does not (from what I can tell) have a section to enter a username/password for connecting to the NAS; it only allows entry of the IP address and a storage path.

Is it possible for me to set up the volume on FreeNAS to allow 'public' access? I'm assuming the DVR software is reporting the storage as 'offline' because it does not have the correct access...?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Welcome the forums! I think you will get more answer if you provide more information. You provided very little information to go off of.

- What FreeNAS version are you running?
- What are your full hardware specs?
- what type of share are you creating?
- what type of dataset structure do you have?
- what type of permissions are setup on the dataset you are trying to access?

I know @MatthewSteinhoff records security camera footage to his NAS so hopefully he chimes in. But we need a lot more information before even we can even begin to help.

I have a camera system that records to a DVR. The software allows specifying a NAS storage location for storage video.

@jkimrey, you'll need to let us know which video recording system you are using. Some write to a standard Windows share (cifs/smb), some will allow you to mount an NFS partition. Others want to use FTP. My first choice is NFS but many are SMB only. FTP is not cool.

If you're not concerned about security - and it sounds like you're not since you're using a camera system that doesn't have any concept of per-user file security - just create a FreeNAS pool and share it using 'Windows (SMB)' with the features 'Allow Guest Access' and 'Only Allow Guest Access' checked. That will give you a share that has no user security. Next, make sure to set 'Hosts Allow' to your security DVR so that it is the only device allowed to touch that share. You may also want to uncheck 'Browsable to Network Clients' to make it even harder for intruders to find that share. These settings somewhat offset the lack of per-user authentication to the share.

You may be getting an 'offline' message because the share is visible but not writable. Check your file permissions. Can you write to the target directory from the host outside of the security video software?

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, @nojohnny101.

Cheers,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.