Starting over in 9.10 or wait for 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icsy7867

Contributor
First let me preface this by saying that ever since i decided to kill my RaidZ1 and change it to a RaidZ2 I have been a little bit more...liberal with my tinkering. Especially since playing with iohyve/Bhyve.

Sometimes my freenas box seems to freak out, spam the console with tons of information (too fast for me to see) and then turns off. This seems to usually happen under larger loads while using bhyve, but I cannot say that with 100% certainty. Part of me thinks that it has something to do with using an FX-8120. But while running plex and transcoding I can activate 4-6 of the cpu's and everything seems fine during this.

In any case, I have done a LOT of tinkering and playing around with my system and since I decided I wanted to start over from scratch I deemed it okay. I also know that my jail template needs to be destroyed for the new 9.10 Jail templates.

TL;DR;
Can I go ahead and start over in 9.10 and then upgrade to 10 without having to redo my jails? I really dont want to have to redo them twice and I have quite a few jails running (Plex, openvpn, multiple deluge jails, owncloud, etc...)

But if there is a decent risk that 10 will require me to redo everything again, I believe it would be best to wait for 10. I know they are based on the same FreeBSD OS and I dont think this would cause any issues, I thought I would get the opinion of some who are smarter then I before I go about rebuilding everything.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Not enough info out about freenas 10 to be sure but at this point you should assume you will have to rebuild them for freenas 10.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
We don't even know if jails will be a part of FreeNAS 10 yet.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, if all goes according to plan, it should be possible to just run FreeBSD 10.3 in a VM on FreeNAS 10, so jails should be more or less portable, with some changes. Note that this would mean configuring a full FreeBSD system enough for jails to work.

tl;dr - Details are light and work will almost certainly be involved.

icsy7867

Contributor
Interesting! Thanks for all the replies, I know we are still some time from 10, and I will just sit back for now.

Any suggestions about capturing a crashing systems error logs in freenas? I know these logs arent sticky and from my googling and searching the forums it would seem that a syslog server is the way to go.

adrianwi

Guru
I installed 9.3.1 in a VM and created a few jails and then upgraded to 9.10. I could update the jails and created new ones. That said, I haven't been brave enough to update my main box :)

I think I'll wait and see what comes with 10 and then either try and upgrade to that, or upgrade to 9.10 and stay there.

Status
Not open for further replies.