Virtualbox Jail... (general question and networking question) 9.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

krys allen

Dabbler
So in general, people who have used the virtualbox jail... is it stable? I plan to use it to replace my home vm environment which consists of:
Ubuntu DHCP/gateway server
Ubuntu DNS server
Ubuntu Owncloud server
Ubuntu Unifi IP camera video server
Ubuntu Download server (Sonarr, Sabnzbd, Couchpotato)

Assuming my hardware is capable, what should I expect from the software? I have 9.10 up and running and after only having virtualbox jail running for a few days with one test vm I have already experienced multiple crashes of the vm. Once seemed related to a disk error and the other I have no idea.

Should I wait till freenas 10 is released and try out bhyve, or can virtualbox jail be stable enough for my needs?

Second question is regarding networking, my freenas server has dual NICs. I want to pass one through for use solely by my virtual gateway server, how do I make this happen? Can it be done from the jail GUI?

Thanks in advance.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I've found VirtualBox to be very stable, if and only if the option for "use host i/o cache" is checked (it's related to the virtual drive controller settings). I've since migrated most of the VMs I was running under that to my Proxmox host.

I don't know of a way to pass through a NIC to the jail though.

Status
Not open for further replies.